11/8 @ 2PM EST : Bodegas Faustino Gonzalez Virtual Sherry Tasting for INT. SHERRY WEEK

Ok Jerez Lovers! The best week of the year arrives in a few days. International Sherry Week will be a bit different this year and we’d love for you to participate in this unique event we’ve put together.

Join myself and my friend Sara (https://www.instagram.com/lalibanesadejerez/?hl=en) as we take you on a free virtual trip to Bodegas Faustino Gonzalez in the heart of Jerez de la Frontera (https://bodegasfaustinogonzalez.com/)

Our hosts will be Jaime Gonzalez Garcia-Mier (owner of Faustino Gonzalez) and Manuel Torres Zarzana (consulting oenologist) as we taste through three of their wines from the Cruz Vieja line:

Fino en Rama
Amontillado en Rama
Palo Cortado en Rama

Our friends at Hi Time Wine Cellars in Orange County, CA are one of the very few retailers in the US to carry these wines and have graciously put together a 3-pack of the wines to be tasted. There will be a very limited number of 3-packs available with a 5% discount from their already discounted bottle prices. Order here: https://www.hitimewine.net/catalog/product/view/id/45598/s/cruz-vieja-tasting-3-pack-750ml-i-376832/
You can also order individual bottles from Hi Time. Or simply join us with whatever producer and style you happen to have on hand! We want you to have fun…and maybe learn a bit about these amazing wines in the process.

Zoom meeting link: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Hope you can join us!

Sounds great thanks!

Hope you can join Steve.

Purchased the pack from Hi-Times. I’ll be in.

Very cool!

Awesome bud! See you in the virtual world.

Can you make it Brian?

I think so, but I am married with children, so … you know how that goes.

Let’s just do another dinner in Chinatown.

Sherry Week is here!

Hope a few of you were able to order the 3-pack from Hi-Time.

Until mine arrive, coming out of the gate with this delicious Oloroso.
C1D9FEEA-5888-4E61-889B-E477E94786B7.jpeg

Nice, Jorge! Is it dry, or a bit off?

… for my part, I had a pour of Valdespino’s “Tio Diego” Amontillado this evening.

What is the general opinion on how long these hold in the fridge. I assume the Oloroso is fine for at least a couple weeks. What about the other two bottles?

That is the very first wine dinner I plan to organize once we have a vaccine.

I’ll try to attend the virtual tasting but I have another zoom tasting at 3pm and there’s a decent chance I’ll need to miss both.

Hi-Time order in & looking forward to the tasting!

Oloroso and Palo Cortado should be fine for a long time — longer than they’re likely to last once open. Honestly, the En Rama should be fine for a week or two, as well, but that’s the one where change brought on by exposure to air is going to be most noticeable, and that’s why I wouldn’t open that one until Friday or Saturday. Are you able to discern the bottling month and/or year on the En Rama?

I’ll try to look at the codes before this weekend. Too lazy/distracted to walk to the garage AND research the codes tonight. :wink:

I was just concerned about opening all three for the seminar and not wanting to drink them. If two are sweet then I’m in the clear.

Do you have reason to believe 2 will be sweet?

Palo Cortado and Amontillado are not sweet at all. Nutty and complex.

I guess I assumed by saying they would be ok in the fridge for extended periods that they are sweet.

Ahhh, o.k… Quite frankly, they’d be fine out of the fridge, too. I’d echo what Jorge said, but some producers do sometimes mix a little PX into their Oloroso and/or Palo Cortado; I don’t recall ever having an Amontillado that had noticeable sweetness. Of the three sherries in the 3-pack here, I’ve only had the Manzanilla En Rama, and my bottle was more than a year old — so perhaps not the fairest of shakes.