What ONE BOTTLE from your cellar will be your special occasion wine in five years?

So, with the arrival of my recent shipments, I gave this some thought last night. I have a fairly deep cellar and will be turning 65 in a little over five years. I previously thought my '12 Harlan, or '12 Schrader Old Sparky would be the wines, but then I got a magnum of '18 Myriad Dr. Crane Elysium.

For me, THE bottle will be a magnum of '18 Myriad Dr. Crane Elysium.

WHAT WILL BE YOURS? Remember, it has to be five years from now, not something to open today.

90 RC may be drinking well then, although I could probably wait a bit.

I also turn 65 in 5 years and have been planning on opening a 1993 Drouhin Musigny for about the last 10.

And Bruce - a belated Happy 60th to you!

From my meagre holdings, I’m thinking my magnum of 2005 Jadot Clos St-Jacques will be just about ready then.

Jay, happy 60th to you! I actually turn 60 in May (my post said I turn 65 in a little over five years), but thanks for the birthday wishes. Hoping by this coming May I can actually have a 60th celebration with friends without worries!

This said, you (and Michael too) must have some patience to wait over 30 years on those Burgs.

2012 Cristal Rose

We have a bottle of 1986 Mouton (Which my wife purchased over 30 years ago) that we’ll be opening in 2 years to celebrate our milestone birthdays.

Turn 60 in 5 years, opening a ‘65 Yquem

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Millésimé Blanc de Noirs Les Ursules

2011 Herdade do Esporão Torre do Esporão

Our 50th anniversary will be August 15, 2025. I have a 2008 Cristal in mind for leading the lineup of special bottles that day.

I just received my 2017 Macdonald allocation, in 5 years i will turn 59, so a 2015 Macdonald at 10 years will be the call.

2000 Leoville Las Cases

With a number of 2015 German rieslings in our collection, some which will be ready for our 10th wedding anniversary, it’s tough to choose. I might have to go with a 2015 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett because it’s the only 2015 riesling I have in magnum format, but that may not be ready.

doubt Michael waited 30. He isn’t that old. 90 DRC RC release price was about $660, also came in mixed case of 1990 for $2000. Now worth a bit more.

Probably dip into my Heitz Martha’s vertical … maybe the 66 or 69?

I am hopeful that in 5 years my remaining bottles of 2015 Dauvissat Les Clos will have turned into something pleasant.

Oops, then make that an early Happy 60th instead!

And I hear you, my 60th birthday party was cancelled due to covid and I’m hoping to be able to do it some time next year instead.

Hard to say for sure, perhaps 2001 haut brion. Maybe that 1933 madeira (though I like the idea of waiting to 2033 for that).

Talk to me in a little over 6 years. Probably some vintage of Krug. We’ll see.