‘93 Red Burgundy

Tasting these wines many years ago, especially a Rouget Echezeaux, I thought that there would be fantastic bottles in the vintage, but you would have to select carefully. Any suggestions of wines that turned out particularly well?

Thanks

Had a white, Ampeau '93 Puligny Les Combettes, which was mindblowingly good; a few reds still to be drunk, especially Lafon, Comtes Volnay Santenot. We’ll see.

93 Volnays from Lafarge, Leroy and Pousse d Or…wish I had more of all three.

Barthod Chambolle Veroilles was recently delicious. Really a unicorn, a Barthod that’s ready.

Truchot’s wines

I honestly can’t remember a ‘93 red Burgundy I didn’t like in the last 15 years among dozens. And I wish I’d known how good the whites are earlier.

So much this
I love 93s

I just grabbed a '93 Lafarge Volnay VS, so I very much hope so.

Give it plenty of air, I find the 93s are still quite tightly wound YMMV

+N.

Lafarge did especially well – even the plain village Volnay was lovely. Have never had the VS.

This! As Gary Lewis and Playboys used to sing. this is “just my style”.

I’ve got '93 Comte Lafon Volnay Santenots lined up for the middle of next week. I didn’t follow the vintage much, looking forward to it, will post.

Dan Kravitz

Really like the vintage for red (not tried the white)

I went through 24bt of Volnay santenots 1993 Matrot 5 years ago, I got for no money from a closed restaurant cellar, charming but still flavorful wines, no one left…

also had different Rotys from same cellar, even the standard Bourgogne from 1990 was singing

Chevillons I’ve had were really good, but they’re all gone now.

I ve had some excellent 1993s (red), like Morot Beaune 1erCrus, Rousseau CSJ, Jean Gros Clos de Reas , Dujac VR Beaumonts, Chevillon Vaucrains et al, but also a lot of disapointments, which were good or ok, but not really singing and exciting.
Far from a great vintage -

As Robert says, this has always been a variable vintage, but the great wines in 1993 seem to me to have been greater than just about every other vintage of the 1990s - so far - rare 91s and 96s excepted. I think it’s still too early to say vs 99, in which I have a lot of faith and is without question more consistent…

Try a Meursault Perrieres from Ampeau (I mention this because they have been floating around at retail in the recent past although I have not seen any the last couple of years). This will show you what the vintage is capable of for whites.

93 is to Lafarge as 95 is to Roumier

Just to add to the producer list, Drouhin did really well in 1993 as well. In recent years I’ve been very happy with both their Bonnes Mares and their Clos St. Denis.

Anyone had '93 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques recently?

100% agree Howard, a friend served this blind to a group of 5 burg lovers. We guessed much younger and grand cru. Ampeau knocked it out of the park with this wine in 93.

1 Like