TN--2017 Joseph Colin Chassagne Vide Bourse

Decanted for 2.5 hours and tracked over 5 days. This is a lovely bottle of wine. Sleek, almost velvety on the tongue, with a marked fruit presence, ripe citrus and peach for the most part. The oak is in evidence but fits so very well with the flavour profile of this wine. Some florals accent the aromatics. My first from him, a definite liked-it-a-lot. Scrumplicious.

Don’t know this producer, but sounds like something to keep an eye on.

Young buck of the family, I believe. I managed to relieve Morrell in NYC of this bottle and was very glad to have found it.

Pretty hard to mess up 2017, wonder how he does with the perceived oak in a 2017 in 2018 with more sun to deal with.

Mike. I hope all is well. I have been tied up with a new grandson so I haven’t been very social.

This is a fantastic producer who is going to go from strength to strength. Thanks for this note. He is likely to surprise his brother (PYCM) in the next 5 vintages or so as the best of the Colin family producers. His handling of the riper vintages like 2018 should give you an idea. Not sure if he picks early in those vintages like Thomas Morey. This section of Vide Bourse is 1er cru and basically a baby Batard Montrachet. They are so close they are really kissing cousins in great vintages.

Give everyone in Toronto my best.

I will, Don, and thanks—have seen a bit of Victor the last little while. I am so glad you are able to spend time with the grandson. All is OK–bummed, of course, about not being able to do the annual trek to be with my Atlanta friends.

young buck charging as much as old buck. Though I read great things. Same as Pernot’s daughter or relative Alvinia in the sense of stepping out of the gates with high pricing not necessarily justified by an existing track record. But I guess stuff sells.

Can anyone provide a guide and rough quality ranking as to the Colin white Burgundy producers? Marc Colin, PYCM, Phillipe Colin, Bruno Colin, and now I see Joseph Colin? All similar styles, all good? Or very different? Obviously PYCM is the most celebrated, are the others all in a lower league entirely?

PYCM definitely gets the nod at top of the heap. I don’t think Marc is all that far behind. Bruno definitely farther down pecking order. Don’t know the Phillippe wines, but I’d trust Don above and will be buying some Joseph wines to sample if he can take a place next to PYCM and Marc.

Well, Marc is Papa & Grand-papa and that deserves some respect on some level. WE have everyone of the 2018 Colin family wines (135/cs) inbound as we speak… haven’t tried them yet with the difficulty in travel… we do not have Joseph… I should enquire… thanks for the reminder…

Philippe and Bruno Colin are sons of Michel Colin, of the Colin-Deleger domaine. They split up the vineyards, and both were imported by Kermit Lynch for a while, but Phillipe left. I heard there was a scandal in town because Philippe married the postman’s daughter, which was considered “below his class.”

He uses very little new wood.

Never had one, will remedy that soon, but the tasting note lead me to believe that he wasnt oak averse in his elevage.

There is also Simon Colin :slight_smile: youngest son of Marc, I believe

Have a case to crack into that I bought last year. This guy (WK) would know what is going on. I bet he knows all about the postman’s daughter too. She probably doesn’t have any vineyards…

I was at the domaine yesterday morning!

No, Simon Colin is the son of Philippe Colin.

thanks for the correction [thumbs-up.gif]

IMO, you can’t really go wrong with ANY of the Colin family wines. Yes, there are stylistic difference, but all of these are cousins and siblings who grew up together.

There really are two main related branches today stemming from;

Michel & Marc; Brothers

• Philippe and Bruno; sons of Michel
    – Simon; Philippe’s son (The newest Colin to start a label. Worked as an intern in the WV with a good friend of mine.)
  • Pierre Yves, Joseph, Caroline, and Damien; Children of Marc Colin.

Pierre Yves is completely independent now, but it is my understanding the other three are all still involved with Domaine Marc Colin; Joseph makes the whites, Damien makes the reds, and Caroline acts as a sort of GM.

Joseph also makes his own wines, but the whites from Dom Marc Colin and from Joseph’s own label should be very similar. In fact, some friends I’ve spoken to suspect they may be identical in some cases (same wine bottled under different labels), but that is just speculation and I’m sure Mr. Kelley would know whether there’s any truth to it. I don’t want to spread any unfounded rumors.

My understanding is that Joseph is totally separate now (2016 may have been a transition year?)! And his wines are made somewhat differently from those of Domaine Marc Colin: no sulfur at the press or throughout vinification, with about 25 ppm free at bottling plus DIAM closures. He is looking to make a very expressive style and doesn’t really care for more reductive styles of white Burgundy. They are bottled a bit sooner, too.

At Domaine Marc Colin, Damien is moving away from the larger format barrels and foudres they had explored for a while, back to 228-liter barrels (not much new), and now that he has more space in the cellars with the sub-division of the domaine, he’s pushing élevages longer, bottling without filtration or even fining where possible.