TN: 2018 Championship Bottle Pinot Blanc Hard Promises

• 2018 Championship Bottle Pinot Blanc Hard Promises - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (11/1/2020)
    The pale hue of this Pinot Blanc is incredibly deceptive in regards to the sheer intensity and volume on display here. Covering a broad range, it comes across as rich, almost sweet, but the finish connects with a perfectly dry and focused landing. Tastes like you put preserved lemons, light spices and gravel in a blender, and to great effect. The warmer it got, the complexity grew. At $19, one of the better domestic whites out there IMHO. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We got to taste with Saul yesterday, and this was my favorite of the lineup, at least as the wines are showing now. As you said, there is a bit of richness, but it’s all kept balanced by the crisp acidity. I also picked up an attractive nutty character, which I often get with good PB.

I liked all of the wines, BTW, and for anyone who is looking for interesting wines at very reasonable prices, I would recommend checking these out. The Silicone on Sapphire was also a favorite, and while it seems a little tight right now, will probably be the best with a few years on it.

Saul is a great guy, and I have really enjoyed my wine conversations with him @ Vinopolis and I hope to taste with him later this fall. I had the Silicone this summer, but it was after a long day tasting of tasting at Kelley Fox and Patty Green (I suffer!) and we were all a little spent and burned out on wine, so it never really got a fair chance. I need to try it again.

Thank you both for the kind words! As a bit of background, I picked the Blanc fairly early, with a lot of acidity, and then it built texture over 18 months in barrel–and it needed every one of them. It really turned the corner around the one year mark and ended up being one of the better surprises of the vintage. It’s a grape I really enjoy when it’s taken seriously and I’m glad both of you liked my take on it!

Had this wine last night on a warm - rainy summer evening with a simple salad of peaches and fennel tossed in champagne vinegar and fresh squeezed lemon juice. / drizzled with olive oil, smoked salt and a dash or Aleppo pepper. Perfect paring. As to the wine, it really seems to have filled in since Nov, and with plenty of gas in the tank for down the road enjoyment.

IMG_1962.jpeg