Got a disappointed bottle, but Problem Resolved

To make the whole thing simple, I am not come here to ask for help. I was posting my story to warn people who want to buy 2013 Realm Absurd from a wine merchants in Redwood City. The wine is not in good condition, if you don’t believe it, go buy it and enjoy it. Cheers.

champagne.gif

The store was absolutely right, the cork condition does NOT have anything to do with the wine being corked. A wine with a perfect, pristine cork can be corked. Furthermore, that cork looks like a perfectly fine - and a relatively high-quality - cork, to me.

Were there any aromas or flavors of TCA present?

perhaps its just not a wine style for you OP… or maybe you’ve got COVID and lost sense of taste?

Pair with yak, preferably under-done.

Boring and flat does not sound like a corked wine.
It has a very distinct flavor of cardboard and is seriously unpleasant, a wine you immediately know is wrong. I am afraid going to a reputable store such as K &L and saying it is corked when it seems you don’t like the wine is not reason to trash the store. Over the years, the bar for trashing is set pretty high; and I don’t think you met the threshold. Sorry if that seems harsh, but your video suggested that you really did not know what corked is, but in your defense you did a fine job with the Ah So.

He should have gotten a twist-cap bottling of the wine. The problem would have been solved.

I’d suggest you delete your post OP. Corked wine is not discernable by the condition of the cork. One can tell by lab test or by experienced taster who can identify the aromas. Everyone has a different threshold and ability to tell if a wine is corked. The condition the cork in that video appears excellent. So you have demeaned a retailer for no apparent reason other than the wine did not taste as you expect and K&L did not do what you expected so you flag them here in a public forum.

tbh I’m glad someone else mentioned that - I was looking at that cork wondering if I was an idiot for thinking it was lookign in good condition

Is this a video influencer trying to promote videos??

Guy who doesn’t know anything about wine spends $750 on a bottle.

[head-bang.gif]

…this was pretty much the only outcome that could have happened.

I’m no expert on the wine:

that’s one of the highest average CT scores I’ve ever seen. I 'm guessing it might be in a closed down phase from your note OP.

How long did you let it breathe for? Did you decant it? If its in the closed down phase, it probably would taste quite flat and boring if you didnt let it breathe.

Must be nice to be rich. [grin.gif]

…Or, at least, most of the time. neener

chris.p

As you can see, some on this board can be referred to as a tough crowd.

Welcome to WineBerserkers.

Suckling only gave it a 96. It can’t have been a good wine to begin with.

Thread is Absurd.

Corked wine has a very distinctive odor of wet newspapers that have been sitting in a basement. Sounds like the bottle is just shut down like a lot of 2013 Napa cab are now. I had a corked bottle from K&L several years ago. They exchanged it and just asked that I bring them the open bottle so they could get a credit from winery.

Perhaps, this video should talk about an uncorked bottle, instead of a corked one.

I am surprised that the cork was soaked nearly halfway up when it’s probably only been in the bottle for 6 or 7 years at this point. But yeah, the key question here is what do you mean that the wine was “corked?”