TN: 2006 Betz Family Cabernet Sauvignon Père de Famille

• 2006 Betz Family Cabernet Sauvignon Père de Famille - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (11/1/2020)
    Not decanted. Wow! My last bottle was in 2013 and this has improved even since that great showing. Beautifully sweet fruit (raspberry, cherry) is the focal point, with perfect balance. Zero heat, nice structure, but tannins are an afterthought at this point in its evolution. This is maturing slowly, but I think it’s into its peak window and will stay there for, dare I say, 10 years or more. Absolutely delicious. THIS is why one ages Betz Bdx blends! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome stuff here Brandon, and I agree 100% regarding aging WA Bordeaux blends from the better producers in line with their French counterparts - 10 to 25 years post vintage. I haven’t had the 06 in years, but still have a lone bottle of the 03, 05 and 08 to enjoy for the next decade. I do chuckle at CT comments that indicate some urgency to drink this in the ten year mark, especially for Cadence.

Thanks for the note, just bought my first Betz a few weeks ago and hoping to try it soon.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with age ability of many of the top tier WA Bdx. blends, to which Betz certainly belongs.Have drunk with great pleasure and still own Quilceda, Delille, Woodward Canyon, Andrew Will, Cadence from the 80’s and 90’s. Select St. Michelle bottlings from the early 80’s are still alive and well. The old song is that Napa cab ages but doesnt improve( which has not been my experience uniformly) but the WA ones certainly do. Still undervalued in the panoplie of this style, IMHO.

I generally agree with all of this abotu aged WA wines. The one exception I have had recently is a few Cadence from 2000. I dont know if it is the year, or the ones I have, but they seemed tired and over the hill. I have old Andrew Will, Quilceda, and a few others that are just great. I am hoping this is just a fluke with Cadence, because I generally like their wines a lot.

2000 was tough, unlike CA, WA was really hot and dry, most wineries were still in their infancy in this vintage, picking on numbers vs. flavors, using same oak treatment, etc…vineyard management has come a long way too.

I opened a 2007 Cadence Tapteil over the weekend and it was fantastic. Plenty of life left in it.

I have one more 2006 Pere de Famille in the cellar, and I’m going to keep it a while longer. Thanks for the note!

For everyone who still buys Betz, because I haven’t had any since the sale, I don’t think, have you seen any differences since 2010 vintage?

I have an 05 magnum laying sideways for sometime around my 65th.

I’d be curious too. I haven’t really bought in quite a while (pre-2010), but would be surprised if it changed a lot knowing how dedicated Bob Betz was to the house style. I know ownership has changed hands but, IIRC, that wasn’t until around 2014ish. I wonder how the styles is today. IIRC again, I think Bob is still involved, but more in a consultative role.

Not sure how old your are but, I’d imagine in that format, it’s easily a 20-25 year wine and then some. I have one magnum of 2007 Pere de Famille that will likely lay down past 2030.

Now I have go down to the cellar, I’ll be right back👀Only a closdbetz left from 06.But 3 + and magnum of 07 and 6 + 2 mags of 04, my favorite of all the pere I’ve had.I quit buying after the change of owners for my own reasons.

2026 is 65 for me. Thinking this Betz Mag will be part of that celebration.

A question – I tried the wine a few times early in my wine journey, including one or two aged versions, and I thought they were nice wines and lacking any particular flaw or excess (e.g. too much heat, oak, green), but not particularly distinctive or complex. Maybe the kind of thing I would be happy to drink, but not so much motivated to seek out.

The tasting note in the original post does sound like what I remember. Is that a fair comment, or do those with more experience find them to develop more distinctiveness, complexity, character etc. at the right ages and/or from the right vintages?

Thanks, and hopefully that comes across as the interested inquiry it was intended, and not as some sort of attack on anyone or anything.

Understood, Chris. At the price point (mid-$50s IIRC), this was something to seek out. The Betz wines in particular, were so backward and tight early on that I found it fascinating to follow them on their evolutions, much like good red Bordeaux. They just weren’t flat-out all that enjoyable early on. So, in that vein, yes, they were worth seeking out. I’m not sure what current release prices are, but I think the PdF is nearing $100. At that price, I’m less compelled to seek them out.

If you’re mostly and old-world leaning palate, this wine wouldn’t likely change your mind. For this specific wine, for me, it was the perfect balance, poise, delicateness, and concentration (but not richness or density) that wowed me. I think it’ll gain complexity, but it had more than when it was young certainly.

A big part of your reaction is quite possibly because I’m not particularly adept at adequately describing what I’m tasting in a TN. While the note is basic, the wine was far from it.

Great explanation, Brandon. Thanks for taking the time.

I have always preferred Clos de Betz due to the high % of Merlot. I just think Merlot does better and makes better wines in WA than Cab, even if it doesn’t sell as well unless under a fanciful name like Clos de Betz.

Pretty sure Bob and Vathy sold in 2010. Not 100%.

Although they sold I believe Bob Betz is still involved as consulting winemaker. Also I believe the sale was to individual owners, not a large corporate entity. I have continued buying since the sale and have been happy with the wines.

Brandon,

The 2006 vintage was the first vintage that I purchased Betz. I bought a 6 pack of the Père de Famille and have thoroughly enjoyed this wine over the years. I still have one bottle in the cellar that I am looking forward to drinking in the next few years.