TN: 2008 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard

• 2008 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/3/2020)
    Its smells potent and is potent. 12 years and room to run. I feel like I am hitting it at an opportune time. Nose starts austere and mellows. Dark Red fruits, stale/flat cola, menthol + days of nilla past. the front is dark subdued cherry, some purple. Vanilla, plus a weird root veggie thing, and some earthiness. Its got depth. Nuance. It makes me take pause and think. It won’t go more than a day and it doesn’t have to. Its just great now, and holding a glass amazingly. I’d wager underestimated in 2008 and now its paying unbelievable dividends while demonstrating what Loring an do early on.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Rich. I’ve dabbled in Loring in the past but always drank them young to satisfy a guilty pleasure for the rich style. Next time I buy from them I will lay some down to age.

Thanks, and you gotta take a few and tuck them away. They lay down nicely. I’m good for a case a year. I built up to spreading them out over a decade or more and course correcting.

I have been sitting on a 2005 Hungry Like the Llama - named so because it was mostly Durell Durell fruit, mostly, as Brian pointed out.
I have consumed many bottles of Loring over the years, often quite young as I liked that ripe, fresh fruit profile. Will be interesting to see how the 2005 wine will present.

a very cool note to read about an aged bottle of Brian’s wine. Thanks so much for sharing, Rich.

Maluhia,

Mike

That sounds like an amazing bottle. Its around the time I was taking wine seriously and well before I found Loring. The name is epic, and love the puns there being a child of the 80s. I’d love to know how that works out when you decide to pop. I went a short decant, like under and hour. Was popping over to take a whiff and it just hit a stride that way. The glass came out, lots of swirls. Made it last ~4 hours.

Thank You Mike, also just wanted to say that your signature is well stated.