TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County

• 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/2/2020)
    Ripe, round and easy to drink, with no discernable edges. I would never have pegged this as Cabernet if it was served blind. It tasted like a Bedrock wine, but could have been Zin or a mixed blacks blend for all I knew. Good value and tasty, but not something to pull if you really want the Cabernet Sauvignon experience.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note David! I bought a single bottle of the 17 to check it out but didn’t bite on the 18.

I do dig their single Vineyard cabs though!

Haven’t delved into the SV cabs. Maybe next time, though if they just taste like slightly more tannic Zin blends I am not sure why I would bother.

Agree. This one never seemed like a cab to me.

Yep, I hear ya. I don’t want a cab that tastes like a zin. Turley cabs come to mind. Wanted to like them…but blind I doubt I could tell the difference between them and their zins.

The 09 Bedrock cab and 12 Kamen cab were really good. Definitley screamed Cab, with a bit of an old school charm to them. Haven’t opened one in a while but liked them a few years back.

I’m with Rich the 09 and the Kamen where both very much Cab, Sonoma Valley cabs will for the most part , with a few exceptions , Peter Michael and cabs from Knights Valley, be on the subtle side compared to Napa.

Hate the label image though.
42060229-5554-49C6-8E44-44339294A268.jpeg

Don’t you have anything better to do?

Nope, it’s Saturday morning, time to laugh a little and not be uptight. YMMV

I like their wines but they do all kind of taste the same to me. Now I’ve only had stuff like the OV Zin, CA Syrah and a single vineyard Zin that escapes me…

Also, I did the ‘black glass’ challenge at Troquet in 2018 - (aka it’s like $12-15 for the pour and the glass is black so you can’t see the color, you get something like a gift cert and a refund of the glass if you guess country and varietal I believe) and thought a vintage of the OV Cali Zin was a new world pinot noir, like a Loring or something that shows a little barrel spice. I’m no James Molesworth but I also didn’t just fall off the wine turnip truck, so I was stunned to see it was a Zin.

Karen only drinks Rombauer.

I don’t find that all their wines taste the same. It’s always clear to me that Evangelho is different from Bedrock Vineyard, Dolinsek, etc. The Syrah based wines are also very distinctive. The showing of this Cabernet surprised me, as I find the Bedrock style to normally be transparent to grape and place.

Big +1. I find that almost all of their wines have a unique sense of place. One of my favorite aspects of their offerings (and that ‘Bedrock Perfume’ of course).

Bedrock perfume! Yes indeed. There is a house style (much as at Ridge), but it does not obscure place.

[cheers.gif]

X2 … my favorite winery!