What to inspect in a vintage wine at auction

Hello, this is my first post here, stayed just as a reader for long time.

I am looking to participate in a wine auction and I got interested in one lot of Burgundy wine 2007, 1er Cru from DOMAINE DES CROIX, it’s an online auction so I asked for more photos to evaluate the wine condition, based on this photos is the capsule ok? I am a newbie in vintage wine and 2007 it’s not too old, but based on this photos its seens a little stuffed, don’t know, what you guys think?

Be careful if Rudy Kurniawan, John Kapon, or Allen Meadows are involved.

I saw this story, but no, this is an auction house here in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and the wines are nothing like the one’s Rudy faked, saw this story in Netflix documentary and it’s surreal.

I would pass as the protruding or pushed corks tend to show signs of temperature fluctuations during that wines lifetime and poor storage or heat are exacerbated by time.

That’s what I though, thank you!

A wooden mallet cures that flaw.

The price is pretty fair, will bid the lowest amount, it seens a good value.

I have bought past vintages of wine at auction for 20+ years.

I have learned that there is always wine out there, always fine wine out there. IMO using poor conditions is an easy way to narrow the choices of what to bid on. So I don’t bud in wines with poor condition.

It could be fine this bottle you show, but me myself I would put it on the no list.

As for depressed corks, I have a shrink on retainer.

And pass on those wines.

Looking for this Des Croix for a long time, 2007 is pretty impossible to get anywhere, the condition is not pretty good but for 40 euros it may worth a try, I am thinking about it.

I agree. I’m always surprised at what people will pay for obviously leaking or very low fill bottles at auctions like Brentwood or Winebid.

Yes, would never pay for a leaked one or low fill, this one my only concern is the capsule, but the fill is ok, and in this wine world you can buy a prestige bottle and find the wine corked, there is no guarantee at all.

FWIW I opened a bottle of 1968 Robert Mondavi CS last night with spc and a very good fill level and the bottle was shot.

I bought it at auction; at this point I don’t specifically recall but it was likely part of a larger lot (as opposed to a single bottle) but time and money would have been saved if I had kept this bottle filtered from my possession by my own criterion mentioned above.

There’s just no guarantees with older wines which is why provenance and making the commitment to cellar wines properly like so many on this site do is so important.

That Mondavi is more than 50 years old, and their base CS isn’t meant to age that long. Once one gets past 20 years almost everything is going to have lots of bottle variation. Heck, I’ve had ten year old ones Mondavi CS that already tasted pretty faded at times…and 20 year old merlots from them that were very good. It can be all over the place.

Just impound the risks into your bid.