Shout out to MacArthur Beverages

We all wish that every transaction will go smoothly, while knowing that some won’t. The test of a retailer is how they handle the ones that don’t go well. I recently had a purchase from MacArthur’s go south. The details are unimportant; what is important are the extraordinary efforts that MacArthur’s General Manager, Phil Bernstein, undertook to make things right. He was more than fair and went out of his way to produce an outcome that was completely satisfactory. While I think it entirely appropriate and beneficial to the community when retailers are called out for bad behaviour, it’s equally important to recognize good customer service when you get it. I’m glad to be able to do so.

6 Likes

I have nothing but great experiences with Phil.

+1. Good people, responsive, patient, always helpful. Nothing but good experiences with Phil and Tim. I expect to be a customer of theirs for as long as I’m buying wine.

+1

Love the store. Been shopping there for 20 years.

Phil is a good person to do business with.

I haven’t checked them out recently, but after reading this …I shall return.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Great experiences. The only mistake on their part that I recall is when I received an email promising me notice when the wine shipped, after the wine had already been delivered. But that was hardly something to complain. :slight_smile:

Phil is great, good shop and good pricing

I have been buying wine from Phil for a long time (before he went to MacArthurs) and he is fabulous. A real expert on German wines also.

Great shop.

Another big Phil/Bassin’s team fan here. Knows his wines and the OP experience is no surprise; he’s a pro.

I just placed an order from them recently, and have bought from them in the past. All have been seamless transactions.

Never dealt with Phil but Joe seemed to be a good guy and the transaction is always good. My only complaint has been their DRC allocation prices this year were a bit gougey.

Have had nothing but great experiences with MacArthurs(Bassins).

I am not in that market but their prices seem significantly higher than they used to be.

Agree, have had all great experiences with MacArthurs.

They are a first class operation from a winery’s perspective, also. I have had my Black Cat with them since the 2005 vintage.

Good store with a professional staff that really knows what they are talking about. Since I almost exclusively buy wine in person after talking to the people in the store that’s very important to me. It’s my #1 local store - about 70% of my wine purchases.

And not just Phil, but also Joe, Andy Tim and John, the wine consultants, are all quality people. And a rare shout out to the other staff including the shippers Jim and Charlie as well as the stockers and the cashiers. All great. As a DC resident since 1984, there is no better wine shop in my experience.

1 Like