TN: 1999 Drouhin VR Petits Monts

surprisingly structured, tannins a bit granular,
a red-fruited wine, some spice, less density than expected, perhaps a bit dilute. Nice wine but I wouldn’t look for more.

Thanks for the note Alan. Wouldn’t have expected “dilute” as a descriptor. Have a # of vintages from the past 20 years of this.
A remarkable vineyard.

yes, indeed. And I cellar a fair amount of various vintages because I love it. Veronique’s vines.

So is this another of those 1999 things where, despite 21 years, the wine really isn’t quite ready?

Disappointing note…I was expecting fireworks when I opened this, especially from this vineyard and producer.

Shame this didn’t perform.

wine picked up some midpalate intensity after 90 minutes. No fireworks like Ponsot last night. But improved.

Thanks for checking in on this one Alan.

I bought a box of halves of 1999 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Rouge on release. They were magnificent early and then really shut down hard about 4 years ago. I must dig one out soon in the name of science to see where they are at.

I haven’t tasted for a while, one 6-pack remains, I know that they are still young, but the first 6 nevery really wowed…

what are some WOW vintages of this wine? I don’t feel like i’ve ever been blown away by it.

1993 for one.

I had this wine last year with a similar impression. Very lovely nose and nice fruit but somewhat dilute and one-dimensional. Nowhere near what I expected.

Just had a 93 last month, was not blown away by it. [snort.gif] I was hoping it was gonna be good too! Was pretty tight on open - we gave it plenty of time and it just never came alive.

2014s are drinking great right now. 08, 09, and 2010 in the past year have been very enjoyable. I have had a few older bottles of Drouhin (93 Mouches comes to mind) that were great and some bottles that were more similar to what you are describing Charlie.

great that you’re enjoying these primary wines. Many of us don’t buy Burgundy to drink it so young. Are you speaking regarding the subject of Drouhin Petits Monts or are you taking the thread in another direction?

Yeah–some folks seem to be commenting upon the Drouhin range rather than this wine. I’ve found that the Petit Monts doesn’t really track with the rest of the range–it seems to do it’s own thing. I’ve had some beautiful bottles, but also a number that seem to lack energy and concentration. I do think, despite it’s potential early appeal, that it is a wine that does best with plenty of age. and not to be repetitive, but there are still 99’s that still haven’t decided to show their stuff yet.

The 2017 is immensely charming!

I have some of the 1980 Hudelot-Noëllat wine from this parcel, think they only made three vintage before they sold it to Drouhin.

Charlie asked what vintages of Drouhin Petits monts were drinking well. I also have found some of the drouhin petit monts from the 90s to be ok but not great while I think some of the more recent releases of this wine are great and stylistically different. I mentioned 93 Mouches as one that I really enjoyed while I have had 93 and 99 Petit Monts and don’t think they live up to some of the younger versions of this wine. I don’t consider 2008-2010 for certain wines to be very young but I guess thats just a personal opinion and certainly not taking the thread in another direction.

Well, this is a disappointing note, alan. In another thread I mentioned having owned almost two cases of Bachelet’s 1999 charmes. A couple of bottles comprised part of a trade with a fellow burgophile a few years ago and I received a couple 1999 Drouhin Petits Mont (also 01 HN RSV and Dujac CSD but also gave up a couple 05 Truchot Combottes and Charmes)

certainly ok if you do. I was just wondering re the drift.

Is it really surprising that a 99 is still very structured and not showing much because thats been a common theme for me on 99s.