TN; 2018 Ridge Geyserville

Last night I found this on a local wine list for $55.
No particular descriptors come to mind and I am pretty much past trying to describe wine with the typical wine verbiage.
I am posting to say this-it is an utterly special Geezer. It is not as voluptuous as the '13 but it shares the immediate appeal the '13 had upon release.
It is completely open for business. The balance is impeccable. It is silky (I guess I came up with some typical verbiage after all).
I bought a case on release directly from Ridge. Now I am thinking I want another.

A recent 2018 Ridge Ponzo was delicious and very drinkable. Sounds like a wise decision to stock up on the Geezer!

Thanks for the data point.

Thanks Mitch. Will keep an eye out. My Pagani and Lytton are on the way.

Thanks, Mitch. Yea, that 2013 was something else on release!

I have the '18 Geezer and Pagani in my cellar, but this makes me want to get more bottles!! Thanks Mitch

Got a case. Been seeing a lot of people say this isn’t ready yet so I’ve been waiting. $55 is a really nice restaurant price.

Bought a case of the Lytton and a half case of the Geyserville and Pagani. Might need to grab more Geezer!

$55 is a really nice restaurant price.

I joined Columbus’s Athletic Club back in February. It is the only restaurant my wife and I will go to indoors. All of the wine on their list is pretty much retail plus $10. They have a fair amount of hard to get wine too. Saw three different Saxums. But those don’t tempt me a bit.

I have 6 of these. This makes me think I should’ve went with 12. Great review. Thanks sir.

Ridge Geyserville is pretty much the benchmark Zinfandel blend for me. Anytime I try another zin I’m always comparing it in my mind to Geyserville. I especially loved the 2012.

Pegani Ranch is probably my second favorite in their lineup.

Lytton Springs is too dark and clunky for me.

Lytton Springs is too dark and clunky for me.

Agreed. It used to be quite good but more variable. Now I find it too ripe, sweet, and monolithic.
Back in the '80’s and '90’s I recall the LS being more consistent and some Geezers being lean and tannic.
I suspect it is the warmer climate.

+1 on the 2018 Geyserville. I think it is as good as the 2013 and 2015 vintages for Geyserville. I usually buy a few each year, and went back and bought more half bottles after trying it.

Ed

Looking at CT, we’ve opened 5 of these in the last two months; 3 of them were within two weeks. I’d like to follow at least 4 of them as they age but at this rate that’s going to mean another case!

No detailed TN needed with that rate of consumption, Joe. Even I can read between the lines! Thanks. [cheers.gif]

Agree this is an excellent vintage of a great wine. Quintessential back-up-the truck wine, since it drinks so well now and will age well. Buy more than you will drink young, and don’t feel any pressure to keep your hands off them.

I don’t drink much Ridge, but I recently had a 2007 LS that was beautiful and on the restrained side and then followed by a 2009 Geyserville that was ripe and sweet. Is that consistent with those vintages but not what is typical?

Ha, thanks Jim! Although reading my last tasting note, it wasn’t exactly detailed [cheers.gif]

…and I gave it a 93 [rofl.gif]

Another vote for the great 2013 Geyserville but I admit, the vintage I really dig these days is the 2009.

Had some 07 Lytton Springs recently, which I didn’t like really.

Agree this is special. Bought 29 in various format including 375ml and already we’ve had 19 of them. The other one I’d add is the 18 Ridge Evangelho. I’m on my second case of this with one shared with my daughter. We’re going to try Ridge’s and Bedrock’s 18 Evangelho side by side.

Eric agrees with y’all!