TN: 2003 Cantine Martinelli Sagrantino di Montefalco

• 2003 Cantine Martinelli Sagrantino di Montefalco - Italy, Umbria, Montefalco, Sagrantino di Montefalco (11/13/2020)
    I had one of these in the past, I just can’t recall it, though I did set a date of around here to check in on it; right or wrong. Wide-base decant for an hour and a half. It swirls light in the glass but looks dark and brooding. Its dense and hard to make out, I’m settling on super deep ruby with little to no thinning at the brim. Surprising for 17 YO. On the nose I get purple fruits, tobacco, light tar, and some herb/green spice things going on. The front is sour cherry, purple-y/black fruits, the powdery side of fun dip; brambley under-tones, delicate more than watery. It opens up a bit more with another hour. Medium acidity and earthy tannins in the middle that fade to a moderately dry textured finish that lands on the sour cherry. I was wondering if it was a bottle where I just missed its peak. I think its a bottle that never really lifted off and reached its full potential. Goes well with a Jamaican Jerk Bone-In Pork Chop. The Acidity, cherry, tannin and lighter fruit kinda complement it. Its time to drink up here, and pair it well to get the most out of it.

earhty

Posted from CellarTracker

Edit, the fruit developed a bit more and is showing more balance. Not a ton however noticeable. Sipping quite a bit better. Going to leave some for overnight out of curiosity. Might be more of a late bloomer on opening. Finish was a bit more fruit-laden as well.