Dinner with 99` Philipponnat Clos des Goisses and 93` Williams Selyem RRV Pinot Noir

My sweetie and I dined at the fabulous Caruso restaurant located in the lux Rosewood Miramar Beach resort. We were seated at the perfect 2 top on the outside patio with the beach just below us and the surf rolling in just 20 feet away. Obviously, the ambience was spectacular and so calming as we approached a meditative state throughout our dinner.

We were served righteously by the Director of Wine and his sommelier as well as a dedicated wait staff that is committed to just that, serving.

As per our usual MO, we take our own Sophienwald stemware, a fine champagne and a Burt Williams made Pinot from 1983-97:

1999 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; 30% of the wine was fermented in oak; disgorged 10/07 @ 4.5 gpl; my last bottle, all of which have been stellar, but this one was the most evolved and in a perfect place; with a yellow gold color, the nose offered amazing aromas of butterscotch and honeysuckle along with mango, peach and apricot; but the taste profile was more honeyed pear and citrus especially lemon zest with some vanilla and ginger coming in by mid palate; the mouthfeel was just incredible with a fluid honey like texture; I’m licking my lips to get be sure to get the residuals; an hour later, it was holding steady as if it was the first pour; outstanding bubbly.

56C481D7-E1BC-4458-94F9-63CD80E09F1B_1_201_a.jpeg
1993 WILLIAMS SELYEM RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- some of the fruit for this bottling came from all of the Rochioli vineyard other than West Block which was single designated; every bottle I’ve had of this wine in the last few years has been simply amazing and still representing more primary like notes than secondary or tertiary; this one fell in line beautifully; the fill was mid neck and this is relevant in that Burt always filled his bottles to the cork; so there was little evaporation in this bottle which was helpful to observe before buying it at auction; the color was a cinnamon red which perfectly describes the nose and taste as there is a serious streak of cinnamon throughout; the aromas and taste also included spicy red raspberry which dominates the fruit profile and is the last noticeable character as it finishes; the main evidence that this has some age on it as unlike when first released. it is now only medium boded with medium weight, but therefore charming, elegant and so easy on the palate; this is simply marvelous new world Pinot at age 27.

7C2E8AD5-1725-4A46-AE17-093FDB1919B6_1_201_a.jpeg
For me, this was a perfect night out with everything I could ever want for a dining out experience, great food, wine, service and ambience with the love of my life sitting across from me. Life is good and sometimes it’s even a little bit better; this was one of those times.

Cheers,
Blake