Grand Cru requirement for Commerce Corner? (poll)

Should members belong to Grand Cru Cru to create a new topic in the Commerce Corner Forum

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Should Commerce Corner posts for sale items require Crand Cru Cru membership?
I’m sure this will get a few responses. Please state your reasons.

During my time here I noticed that there are members that post Hundreds of even Thousands of dollars worth of wine in the Commerce Corner forum. IMO it would be the least they could do to join the GCC membership.

Thanks.

Matt reached out to me about this, and I asked him to post instead of me, so it doesn’t look like I’m making any sort of ultimatum, as I’m not :slight_smile:

I am, however, interested in reading the comments and seeing the vote tallies!

There isn’t all that much activity on CC as it is – I’m not sure it would be better to create a new requirement and cost that further reduces the volume there.

But other than that, I don’t really have an opinion either way.

I voted 'Yes" and I agree with Matt. And I’ll also agree with his “at the least”.

I think I accidentally voted no…another voting conspiracy! I think it should be required. I have posted three commerce corner posts for my new venture and I have been blown away by the amount of responses generated from here. I would be happy to donate more or pay for a higher level.

Having not bought there, though considered buying, I’d be more comfortable buying from someone who posts there if they ponied up some money to be on this board. Ironically, because I haven’t yet…

I voted yes. Going through the first couple of threads, it seems like not a single person is a subscriber. Not that it’s a huge issue for me, but I don’t think this site should be a free platform for people that don’t contribute otherwise and are only interested in selling wine.

For sellers, yes; for buyers, no.

+1
I’m a GCC member, but I’m ok with buying wine from any individual if the price/provenance is right…

Altho i can see the other perspective as well… i’m pretty indifferent.

For what reason? As finders fee? As a tax? For Buyers? Sellers? Both? As a means of qualifying sellers and buyers and adding a layer of security against fly by night?

So then the question becomes whether creating this requirement (1) causes all those sellers to donate to the site, or (2) means the relatively few sellers we have on there as is just go away, and CC essentially dies. Most of the sales on there are fairly modest $ amounts, so I’m guessing the latter, but it’s just a guess.

Even though some sellers are subscribers, if the volume on that page falls much below what it is, buyers will stop visiting, sellers will stop listing since buyers aren’t visiting, and the whole thing may just kind of wither and go away. And at that point, you won’t really be able to squeeze the toothpaste back in by reversing the requirement.

But I’m purely speculating. I have nothing against the concept of sellers donating, so long as we think they’ll actually do it rather than abandoning the effort.

For me it would be to help support the site. If a subscriber is benefiting in any way financially then they should at least contribute.

This is actually a good point. Maybe you get a certain number of free commerce corner posts per year until you need to contribute. If you are posting say more than 5x per year you must be benefiting from those posts.

Todd,

Wasn’t there discussion a while back about having at least 25 post to sell wine on Commerce Corner?

I’m not interested in buying from anyone with little or no posting history. I think it’s fair that anyone posting with at least 25 posts, should have a Grand Cru notation under their name.

I think it’s the least someone can do to support the site. Adds a small amount of ‘skin in the game’ and is a show of respect of those that maintain this site.

I agree that people should support the site if they’re going to use it to make money. most people should support the site in general if they get a benefit out of it. that said, if the consequence of adding the requirement just means fewer people post deals, I’m not a fan.

Wine tariffs!

Could be like Apple and take a 30% cut. That should make people happy :slight_smile:

the 25 post rule has been in place for years cheesehead

Would be interesting to see the % of Commerce Corner posts in the last 6-12 months by GCC vs regular member, that would allow us to see who’s mostly using Commerce Corner. Todd, do you have those figures?

Regardless though, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask that people selling say, $500+ of wine give back to the site. $25 seems like a small amount relative to how much is being transacted in some of these posts.