TN: 2018 MacDonald Cab

I’ve had the 2018 twice now, most recently yesterday. Gets released in a year. No surprise as to quality.

2018 MacDonald Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
Tasted twice, once double-decanted, once as pop and pour. Moderately-deep purple color with purple rim. Full-bodied but not massive. Primary aromas are black currant and graphite (lead pencil). With time, black olive and underbrush aromas poke through. The texture is quite grippy, with tannins of moderate-grain that have a cocoa-powder dusty feel. New oak has come down slightly from 100% to 80% but feels about the same. The mouthfeel gets smoother with more time decanted. There is a slight blackberry liqueur note on the finish, with firm oak on the tannins and the slightest mineral-saline note. Only in bottle for 5 months, this is still coming together, which I find true with all 18s in-bottle right now. Reminds me of a great vintage Leoville Las Cases, through an Oakville lens. Should rival the epic 2013 in a few years. Built to last, I might give this 2-3 years and then it would be hard to keep my hands off it. I give this 96+ right now, which is fantastic given it is such a puppy, but fully expect that to be 97-98pts once it has time to come together. Should age for a couple decades-plus, easy. A slight increase in production should help a few more people break through the wait list when it comes out.
96+pts

Thanks Roy !!

Thanks for the note Roy… saw that some other 18’s are coming my way this week … should one dive into one now?

Cheers

I think you can, but they need a few hours decanted. They all seem to get better right now with more air.

Great note, Roy. Slightly OT, but what are your 3 favorite 18 Cali Cabs under $125 and 3 favorite 18 Cali Cabs over $125 at the moment. (feel free to post here or in a new thread). Should be interesting as my early sample size of 18s are pretty dang good.

MMMMM.

Thanks for the glimpse of the future.

Thanks Roy!

[scratch.gif]

I think the 17 vintage is currently shipping.
If you already have the 18s can we be friends? [cheers.gif]

(Jk—I saw that you said others)

Unfortunately I’ve not had nearly as many 18s as I would have by now as I’ve been less social due to Covid fears. So I am well behind I’ve posted before that William & Mary’s Estate Cab is outta sight. That’s $110-125, I think?

I think you can throw a dart and do well in 2018. It was such a good vintage. I would think one good strategy in years like this is to buy the less expensive second-wines of producers you already like. Without having had it, I suspect Mike Smith’s Myriad Napa Valley Can and Rivers Marie Napa Cab and Aaron Pott’s Napa… all under $85, probably are quite good for the price in a year like 18.

I tried to follow that plan, but ended up buying some of the nicer stuff as well. (Ok, more than some?)

But, Roy is far too modest. I just got back from a short trip to Napa and had the chance to taste Roy’s 2018, as well as a few others from 2018 (MacDonald, Kinsman, DiCostanzo, Mending Wall, Rivers Marie, William & Mary). All were surprisingly open, all were delicious, and Roy’s was the consensus top pick from the trip from our group. I haven’t had a chance to post notes from the trip, but I am happy I went long on 2018.

Had a Chappellet 2018 Signature Cabernet. Upon first few sips it tasted like a barrel sample. After 4 hours of a decant, the fruit started to peak out. Will wait a year and try another…

1 Like