TN: 2019 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Briords

• 2019 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (11/16/2020)
    Well hell-O bowl full of sunshine! Creamy and a little richer than what I’m use to in the Muscadet…this has substance! Absolute rockin crushed geology here…chalky limestone, salty sea air…little white pepper spice…lovely florals of lime blossom and white flower…just wonderful freshness and SCREAMS for shellfish by the sea! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

nice picture, too!

Gotta say I loved this one too! Thanks for the note.

Something of a ‘house’ white as we have bountiless oysters and serve them regularly. No guilt at the price of admission. Great note

I NEED more of this in my life! More rainwater and lemon mineral crunch in this one. How’s the 2020?

1 Like

Lovely wine.

I love the ‘19. So good.

I love this wine. I’m going through about a bottle a week of it.

1 Like

Great note! Briords is probably our house white also. We opened our first bottle of 18 a couple of weeks ago on the porch. Lovely wine and a good year for Briords.

We had the 19 recently too which was great.

1 Like

Confession - muscadet is my “I just don’t get it” wine. Sure, it’s perfectly nice, but I have never understood where the passion and praise comes from. I’ve had it many, many times, all the best producers as well as ones I’ve never heard of. I’ve had it at a variety of ages, including quite mature. I’ve never once found one I’d seek out specifically to drink again or buy for the cellar. For me, it’s a pleasant wine to order with oysters sitting outside on a sunny afternoon, especially since it’s probably the only things worth drinking on the wine list and doesn’t cost a ton. But it’s always forgettable, to me.

I like Muscadet but I don’t find significant improvement over time. The wines don’t progress or evolve into anything better than on release, though the acids soften. With oysters and shellfish, I love the salinity and acidity. A few years ago after discovering them, my collection got a bit out of hand and I suddenly had 12 cases. I’ve pared back to one. That’s enough.

I agree, for me it was qualified by the amount of quality and flavor for at least what used to be 14 bucks, not sure that’s the case anymore.

Thanks for the reminder Buzz ! Just grabbed a case from Empire Wine in NY. They have it on sale for $19.

2019 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (11/3/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind –

NOSE: creamy; bright; moderately expressive tropical fruits.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: creamy; ripe & soft for this bottling – fruitier than normal; mineral is in the background.

1 Like

Interesting take Brian. I haven’t found this soft, ripe, or particularly fruity through the first six bottles of my case. It’s slightly riper than excellent vintages like '14 or '17, but nowhere near the '15 or '18, which I did not like at all. Overall I’ve found it to be a solid vintage. With so many hot vintages recently I’ve adopted a strategy of stocking up on decent years, fully expecting that many will not be to my liking. I’ve been happy with this one. Sounds like your bottle was a bit less exciting.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t as impressed with this '19 as I tend to be with this bottling. But, it was one of six, so it’ll have 5 more chances to impress. I find your comment about the '15 interesting — ripe, for sure, but I wouldn’t call it soft or creamy (my words, not yours) at all.

I found the '15 too soft, round, and lacking in edge. In the absence of sufficient acidity I sometimes get a cidery oxidative note not just in this wine but in other Muscadets as well, and found that in the '15, and more pronounced in the basic '15 sur lie. While that may sound harsh I don’t actually think the '15 Briords was bad, just a disappointment relative to leaner vintages.

Fascinating. I’ve found the '15 to be high in acid each of the three times I’ve had it — this is one of those situations where I really wish we could open a bottle together.

I too have not found the 2015 to
lack acidity, based on two bottles. The second one this year was ridiculously youthful though.