Thanksgiving Day - What are you drinking?

Given that many of us are likely enjoying the holiday at home, or with smaller groups, I thought it would be interesting to see what was on everyone’s wine menu.

Personally, we’ll need to plan differently, since we’ll only be with immediate family. However, the current COVID environment also means we’re not traveling, which takes driving out of the equation & opens up options to audible to other bottles in the cellar at any point.

We will be with a few good friends who have been in a bubble with us since we got to New Orleans. Some Champagne and also a great opportunity to check in on my favourite Oregon Pinots.

depends a little bit on what we’re eating, but for the weekend of the holiday I have lined up 2013 Sky Zin, Chantereves Bourgogne, Castellina Villa 2016, Faury St Joe VV, and Vajra Albe 2016

2019 Dirty & Rowdy Wear a Mask Red will make it to the table at some point.

Thanksgiving is cancelled this year. Let’s see what next year brings.

Champagne during the cooking day and a Beaucastel for the meal. Been saving both for a special occasion.

We’re all alive here and my core family is closer than ever now. Certainly worth being thankful for even if everything else this year has sucked.

A magnum of Kutch Pinot Noir (probably the '09 McDougall or possibly the '12 Sonoma Coast) as the main wine with the bird.

beyond the virtue signaling, why post if you aren’t saying ‘im drinking x,y, or z.’?

as far as myself, ill be opening some peter michael chard.

Markus,

Bummer. I hope everyone in your family is safe and next year brings better times.

[cheers.gif]

Some riesling, as per usual. I’ll pick which one on the day of.

We are having lamb this year. Usually I drink a bottle of Rioja with my wife’s 96(!) year old aunt, but she won’t be there this year, which is sad. I’ll probably crack a good Bordeaux for the lamb for myself. My wife loves Failla pinot, so that for her.

Just my wife and I this year, and we’re cooking duck. So probably a Pinot.

’10 Sojourn Ridgetop Pinot Noir. Nothing beats a Sojourn with some age on it.

’18 Walter Scott Chardonnay La Combe Verte

What’s the strategy with guests coming over who don’t appreciate/know anything about wine. Do you give them the house red/white and keep a special bottle in the kitchen?? Our do you just ball out and everyone gets the good wine as it’s a holiday?

Last year a 2016 Carlisle Carlisle Vineyard Zin was a revelation at the Thanksgiving table, so we may stay in that neighborhood with a 2017 Carlisle Papera Ranch.

Will also do a Chard, possibly Smith Madrone.

i just open a few different types/styles, generally mention what they may like, and tell them they should taste before pouring a full glass. They are welcome to drink anything, but I know my in-laws aren’t going to like the 1970 Montrose. So I’d rather a full glass doesn’t go down the drain.

I open good but not rare wine that I know my relatives will appreciate/enjoy.

e.g., a nice riesling. Low abv also helps with people driving.

I don’t read that as virtue signaling at all, more looking for sympathy for an inability to have a usual Thanksgiving gathering.

Markus - As someone in the same boat you have my sympathy.

It’ll be just the two of us, and we haven’t even decided what we’re eating, but I know I’m going to have to drown some sorrows in Krug.

Due to smaller immediate family gatherings, how many are foregoing the traditional turkey and opting for a smaller bird, or ham? This might be a bad year for turkey producers. I’m leaning ham with a Ridge zin or a west coast pinot, but who knows. Grilled steaks or Prime rib?

Good thread idea. I need to start planning.

I think 2016 Kutch Chardonnay to get everyone started followed by some 2009 Hospice de Nuit Burgundies with dinner.

Cheers!