TN: 2017 Weninger Soproni Vieta Weiß (Hungary, Észak-Dunántúl, Soproni)

My first Hungarian Pinot Blanc and what a wonderful ride. I understand that Weninger is relatively popular in European hipster/natural wine circles and based on this bottle I can see why. This is a private label bottling for the Vieta wine bar in Riga, Latvia.

• 2017 Weninger Soproni Vieta Weiß - Hungary, Észak-Dunántúl, Soproni (18.11.2020)
    Bright and fresh on the nose with yellow citrus fruits, fruit kernel, orange peel, oat, herbs and yeast. Aligoté-esque, if you will. On the palate this comes off as dry and attractively restrained flavorwise with nicely rich mouthfeel and energetic overall feel. Lovely lemony fruit and herbs, this is not overly expressive but it is highly pleasant and pure. Pretty firm, slightly oily texture makes me wonder if some skin contact is in play here. Finally, it sports really good - almost prickly - acidity that carries over to the finish where there is a wonderful minerally sensation. Overall a well balanced wine that offers both interest and enjoyment.

Posted from CellarTracker