TN's: 96 Lagrange and 99 Le Pergole Torte

Both wines were decanted for an hour.

96 Lagrange - Crimson in color. 13% ABV. Gorgeous nose of red fruits, wet leaves, cedar and leather. Medium body with with supple fruit and polished tannins. Exceedingly approachable. Currants, cassis, plums and tobacco on the palate. Tremendous length on the finish. Fantastic Lagrange that has aged brilliantly. Much better than a ’95 earlier this year. Best over the next 2-4 years but there is really no reason to wait.

My rating: 93 points

99 Le Pergole Torte - Ruby red in color. 13% ABV. 100% Sangiovese. Exquisite nose of red fruits, anise, leather and road tar. Medium body with perfect acidity. More than enough fruit at 21 years of age to make the wine incredibly appealing. Cherries, tobacco, licorice and plums on the palate. The finish is long and seamless. Gorgeous wine that has aged better than anyone could have expected. Best over the next 1-2 years.

My rating: 94 points

Full reviews on Zinfandel Chronicles - http://www.zinfandelchronicles.com/

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2829-scaled-e1605576354273.jpg
IMG_2826-scaled-e1605365602467.jpg

I have fond memories of the 1996b Lagrange that I opened in December 2017. So pleased with the development since stored at release. Approachable with easy 10 - 20 years of maybe even getting better or staying at the current good phase.

Lots of chatter on this stalwart on BWE. I’m still chewing through a box of the 96, which I don’t love as much as I used to anymore.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7749

Great Le Pergole Torte note. I just got in my '15s and '16s and this is a reminder to forget about them for as long as possible.

Thanks Tom, for sharing these notes. The 96 Lagrange was the first classified growth I bought when I started getting into wine, somewhere in 1998. Just a soul bottle. During the years I drifted away from Bordeaux and never really felt like opening it, always preferring something else. So, I still have it, sleeping the cellar. You make me realise it’s about time to give it a go. It sounds like I might be very pleased I did buy it after all.