TN: 2016 Pierre Cotton Côte de Brouilly 100% Cotton

First time trying Pierre Cotton, who I’ve heard many good things about (and a few comments as sometimes overly natty). This one makes me glad to have more of his wines to explore - not overly (or even overtly) natty at all.

From an importer, on the Cote de Brouilly 100% Cotton: “65 years old-vines. Organic, vinified without sulfur and unfiltered. Cotton’s parcel is on a unique terroir of “corne verte” that Pierre says is found nowhere else in the Beaujolais. Corne Verte is a blend of pink granite and diorite. Vinification is semi-carbonic in large cement tanks, and then the wines are aged for 8 months in old foudres that range in size from 14 to 42 hectoliters. Annual production of 2,700 bottles.”

• 2016 Pierre Cotton Côte de Brouilly 100% Cotton - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (11/20/2020)
    Nose of flowers (towards rose but more subtle), slate, strawberry, and sandalwood, a touch of cinnamon. Medium body, good structure, a bit of tannin (not overbearing) even on night two - it’s fruity but somehow not really fruity, with crushed stone and earthy notes and just enough acidity to hold it all together. Lots going on here - haven’t had many Cote de Brouilly but it strikes me as a notch lighter and more elegant than Morgon. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just tried the '17 of the same wine. This one opened up very spritzy / carbonic to start and took a good hour plus to settle down, which it did. At least on this particular bottle, the '16 was a far better / more elegant / more integrated wine. Have one more of each and hope to do a side by side along with another of their bottlings - the Cte de Brouilly Les Grilles.