Doh! Ever do this before?

Our daughter is home visiting us. My wife and her were supposed to be in Nashville today to run the Rock-and-Roll marathon which was postponed from April. Well it was cancelled just over a week ago so they decided to run a half marathon this morning on our local greenway instead. I decided to pull out a nice wine. For some reason I have not opened a Ch. Beaucastel CNdP in a few years. I went to the rack were I have numerous bottles and pulled a 2004. Not the greatest vintage but a nice wine. Popped the cork and poured a taste. That is when I noticed that it was not the regular CNdP but the Hommage A Jacques Perrin! I guess not the worst thing that could happen. Really good juice. I think in later vintages they changed the HJP lettering to green to make in stand out more. Otherwise the labels are exactly the same. Maybe a blessing in disguise. It is ready to drink.

:slight_smile:

For my tastes, 2004 was underappreciated in CdP.

We drank a mag of 2004 Vieux Telegraphe recently and it was one of the best CDPs I’ve ever had.

I have done this several times but it was almost exclusively the 2nd or 3rd pull of the evening when my focus was waned significantly.

Hudelot Malconsorts instead of Vosne village :slight_smile:! This reminds me I need to have an ‘04 Beaucastel soon. Really liked the elegance cf surrounding vintages when I tried it very young.

I accidentally left a 2002 Rivers-Marie Summa Old Vine within reach while traveling about a year ago. I hear it was delish :frowning:

Pretty sure I’ve done this with Heitz cab before (like Jordan it was NOT our first bottle). Was aiming for the Napa and snagged a Martha’s.

‘Damn, this is good, but WAY tighter than I expected’. Oops.

The started bottling only in magnum, just so this wouldn’t happen :wink:

Lol Alan, I was thinking that - wouldn’t have happened with a nice fresh one :wink:! 2005 it was.

I did this with a Myriad Elysian, where the word “Elysian” was in four point type.

I was at Wild Ginger in Seattle one evening and one of their new staff opened a 1998 Beaucastel Hommage vs. CdP. Not the end of the world, but a $900 bottle vs. $200 raised the teams ire.

Guy was sitting at the bar who ordered it, so we sent him a glass of everything we opened all night.

Slightly off topic; I love the Il Carnasciale olive oil. I buy that almost every year.
I really like the '04 CdP vintage, although it was initially not critically acclaimed.

Bob Ross coined it best, “Happy Accidents”.

Just roll with it, and yes to your question, it has happened. The specifics escape me. It was some night I wanted a white wine, and pulled a high-end pre-mature South African Chenin that was beautiful yet had room to run.

Yup - opened a 2007 Mugnier Les Amoureuses thinking it was the Clos de la Marechale. My brother in law (who likes wine but does not know anything about burgundy) seemed to enjoy it.

Brodie

I just did this with a 2018 Bedrock Heritage v. Old Vine Zin. For me…a $20 happy accident. It was a completely innocent mistake as I was dead sober pulling bottles for a tasting when it happened.

Oddly enough, it was for a <$20 daily drinkers tasting, and it still didn’t win WOTN.

I figured it out two days later when I went to log the wines as consumed in cellar tracker and noticed the bottle I “pulled” was still sitting in its slot in my cellar and the one a single column over wasn’t. Looking back at pictures of the night confirmed the mishap and that no one caught it the entire night!

Again, a very very small error comparatively.
TW

Not surprising it didn’t win since on the recent podcast, Morgan and Chris said the 2018 Bedrock Heritage should be drank on day 2 or 3 or double decant in the morning.

I’m curious where you buy it from? is it easier to track down than the wines?

this is what I was about to say as well. bedrock vineyard definitely needs some time!

Hi Matt,
I’ve sourced this from two places. The Rare Wine Company has a big Tuscan olive oil offer annually, which is where I buy most of my EVOO. Garagiste gets this as well, which is the main reason I stay on the mailing list.
I just received some Vieux Telegraph Olive Oil from Envoyer. It doesn’t have the spice of most of the great Tuscan oils, but is a beautiful milder version.
Cheers,
Warren

One word… Lillian.

Yes, Rare Wine Co. sells it as part of their annual Tuscan oil sale. The problem is that it usually sells out in hours and if I recall you are limited to one bottle. Luckily the owners of Il Carnasciale (Il Caberlot) are close long time friends so I get a couple bottles every year either when Moritz comes to the US for the Slow Food tour or when I visit them in Mercatale.