TN: 2016 Proprietà Sperino Uvaggio

list][*]2016 Proprietà Sperino Uvaggio - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Coste della Sesia (11/18/2020)
Stunning. This PnP shows a medium garnet> ruby core; it’s clear, and bright. Initial aromas offer a bold display of red/dark red berries, an equal amount of cherries, and lovely forest scents. The weight of the wine is more or less med(+) bodied, though the sheer abundance of fresh acidity keeps this flowing evenly, and elegantly. I’ve not even swallowed the first taste, and I’m already wanting more; this is very pure, highly transparent. With some air, there’s a touch more weight, and the perfumes of complexity manifest even more profoundly. Very fine, sweet tannins are perfectly in tune with my preference: this is a world class wine, and my mind wanders nearer to Grand Cru Burgundy than anywhere else. At this point, I can’t recall if I dreamt about it last night, but I certainly woke up still thinking about it. A serious contender for the best red wine, from anywhere, in its price class. While this has enough structure to cellar for the mid-term, it’s so joyous now, it’d be a shame not to check on it if, like me, you have several. 14,0% abv., natural cork. highly recommended+

http://www.italianwine.blog[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

Lovely wine. I just re-upped.

Thanks for this great note, Tim. A favourite producer, though I haven’t tried the 2016 yet. Also, it’s a great medium term ager. Four years ago I bought two cases of the 2006 on clearance, on an impulse. Every bottle was terrific. I just had the last one three weeks ago, with pain in my heart but joy in the glass. And such a pretty label too. Opening this one always gives me the (I know this sounds ridiculous) idea of having a poor man’s Rousseau Chambertin, mostly because of the look of the bottle. Now I’ll have to make time to go to the local wineshop and get me the 2016 next week.