TN: 2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

• 2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (11/21/2020)
    Decanted. Medium-ruby color, lightens at the edges. Secondary aromas of worn leather, thyme, hints of clove, tea & pressed violet, with currant fruit. Lively pomegranate and raspberry fruit on the palate, with hints of balsamic reduction and integrated depth of bay leaf, dill and dried flowers. Medium-bodied and accessible, with alluring elegance and presence. Ample acidity, well-integrated, with plush rounded tannins, finishing dry and juicy with solid depth. Secondary stage, drinking very well. I would buy again and hold a little longer to see where it goes, but seems to be in its drinking window now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for sharing, Matt!

I just opened a 2005 from 375ml bottle and must say that your note is pretty much spot-on! Mine is still developing in the glass (poured through the Coravin’s aerator) but is showing beautiful red berry fruits and red cherries on the palate, and similar aromatics: dried thyme, worn leather, some hints of tobacco. Very generous thanks to the warmer 2005 vintage, and still quite primary, with the core of fruit still very present, but surrounded by some secondary notes, very elegant and long on the finish.

My first time with this producer (insanely hard to procure here down under) and couldn’t be happier. I get why everyone loves him on here.

Love LdH - a minor note to Jan: LdH should probably be referred to as “they” (or possibly “her”!) rather than “him” - the siblings Maria Jose, Mercedes, and Julio Cesar run the show together, with Mercedes being the primary winemaker for a while now, and Maria Jose being the “face” of the winery (I’ve attended a tasting with her - she is fantastic). I believe Julio Cesar runs viticulture.

Thanks! Glad to see this note give the comments about this wine in the JJ Prut thread by Mark G. I just took delivery of 6 375s ordered last year.

Thanks for the comments. While I’ve had Viña Tondonia Reserva in the past, I’m certainly no expert on it. Others on CT suggested that it needed more time or wasn’t the best vintage. To me, it was quite a lovely wine that was consistent with past experience and delivered what I would have expected. Early(ish) secondary but definitely in a drinking window to my palate. I’ll probably look for another 2007 and give it a few years just to see how it develops.

Opened a 2006 last night and it was still rather tannic and structured yet with maturing aromatics. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Thanks for this quick note on the 2006. I have this is 750 and magnum. Based on your comments, I might resist the temptation to open one just yet.

Definitely no need whatsoever to open any 2006’s. I’ve had it a few times and every time I’ve made a note to myself that this one isn’t going to be peaking within this decade. Magnums are in all likelihood going to last for even longer.

2007, on the other hand, seems relatively soft and accessible for a Heredia. Also less impressive than any of the four preceding vintages. Probably the best bet for early consumption.

Thands Otto. First time that I have been offred any locally so snapped up a case and couldn’t wait to bust one. I did buy a few bottles of 1973 (IIRC) a few tears ago that was really lovely and nicely mature.

1973 Gran Reserva? (Well, most likely - I’m not sure if they made the regular Tondonia as we know it back then).

That is a wonderful wine indeed. I’ve had it as well (with the fellow Finn forumites Mikko and Ilkka) and it was in a beautiful spot.

Anyone already popping '08? Have a couple, going to check one out soon.

Not Tondonia. Only Bosconia. It needed serious air time. I think it’s better than 2007 Bosconia but not as good as 2006, which I love.

I’m not so thrilled about the shape and solar qualities of the 2007s. And it’s my youngest son’s birth year, so I’m especially not happy.

cool. thanks. Interested in your “shape and solar qualities” comment. I love the sound of that, but what are you getting at?

The 2007 is rounder and has riper fruit. Damn weather makes no considerations for wine geeks.

The 2007 was just way too soft for me. Like a little hardness in LDH but still drinking from the 90’s. Haven’t popped one past 2000.

1 Like

What the others said. A bit ripe, thick, and flabby. But it’s a relative statement. It lacks for me the typical LdH structure that provides cut, flavor delineation, and freshness. And I was very patient over multiple days. A second bottle of 2006 a few days later was confirmation.

We very much enjoyed the rounder, tasty, lush life that is the 07 Tondonia.

I’ve actually bought more. Maybe not a chiseled vintage but bottle has great depth.

2 Likes