TN: Two great value wines (Lamy-Pillot and Lucien Crochet)

Two great value discoveries here. To be honest it’s these little gems that make me love wine over the bigger, more obvious names (most of which I can’t afford nowadays!).

• 2014 Domaine Lamy-Pillot Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Combes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (22/11/2020)
    This producer has been getting some hype and he produces more approachable wines at this address. The 2014 is in a perfect drinking spot right now, some sweetness and creaminess at the beginning but gave way to a wonderful sense of elegance, the wood is very well integrated here. Put on some weight to show some exotic fruits and a honeyed waxy texture that belied a serious acidity beneath. Delicious.
  • 2015 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rouge La Croix du Roy - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre Rouge (22/11/2020)
    Wow this could easily pass for a serious Burgundy. Very pretty floral nose that only a Pinot could have, put on weight with time in the glass. Some spice that reminded me of Vosne, ample red fruits. Only shortcoming was the slightly green finish and a lack of complexity but an unbelievable value.