TN: Three More New Bedrocks....(short/boring)

Delving deeper into my Bedrock arrivals; I shared last night w/ Susan/Roman/May:

1. Bedrock Compagni-PortisVnyd/SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty WW (14.2%; Plntd: 1954; Pharmed by PhilCoturri; Aged: SS & neutral barrels for 5 mo) 2019: Pale gold color; strong floral/carnations/marigolds/bit pungent/musky/graham crackers/herbal quite fragrant slight pencilly/oak bit complex interesting nose; lightly tart/tangy light floral/carnations/musky/marigolds bit graham crackers/pungent/herbal some complex interesting flavor; very long bit earthy/herbal/floral/marigolds slight graham cracker/pungent interesting finish; not particularly high-toned and somewhat of an old-timey Calif White characterbut a rather interesting white; reminds a bit of Parducci FrenchColombard or Sebastiani GreenHungarian; not at the level of the SauvBlancs but should put on weight w/ age & improve quite a bit. $28.00

1. Bedrock Zin PucciniVnyd/SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.6%; Plntd: 1906/dry farmed; One acre/rock walled Clos; 2 brls) 2014: Med.dark color; strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/somewhat spicy bit aged/complex light dusty/OV rather pencilly/oak rather fragrant attractive nose; fairly tart some tangy/metallic some raspberry/blackberry/Zin/spicy light dusty/OV some pencilly/cedary/oak bit aged flavor w/ light bit tired tannins; long bit soft some blackberry/raspberry/Zin/bit spicy some pencilly/cedary/oak fairly dusty/OV bit tired/aged finish w/ light tannins; seems a bit old & tired before its time. $50.00

1. Bedrock PetiteSirah Drummond’sCuvee Calif (14.2%) 2018: Black color; intense blackberry/PS/licorice bit earthy/dusty some OV/dusty some toasty/oak bit simple nose; soft some dusty/OV strong PS/blackberry/boysenberry/licorice slight peppery some toasty/oak bit oafish/coarse flavor w/ ample ripe/chewey/hard tannins; very long strong blackberry/PS/boysenberry/ripe some toasty/oak finish w/ ample tannins; shows the clumsy/oafish side of PS in spades; not sure where this wine is going to go. $45.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Puccini: This was a late Spring release from Bedrock. Not quite sure where they’ve been keeping this wine & why it was released so late. It still offers up some mature pleasure but I was a bit surprised how tired the wine seemed.

1. Drummond: This wine is somewhat of an enigma to me. Generally, the Bedrock reds offer up a bit of pleasure from the git-go. This one did not. This showed the oafish/clumsy/coarse side of PS very strongly, with pretty massive tannins. Morgan states on the label than it should age for decades. He’s a bit more optimistic for this wine than I. It strikes me as a wine that’ll never outlive its tannins and will always remain an oafish brute. Not like, say, the Ridge YorkCreek PS '71. But I could very well be wrong.
    I believe the first Bedrock PS came from the DrummondVnyd in Kenwood. And maybe later supplemented with PS from Eaglepoint. Morgan claims that the first PS was imported into Calif, the recently Durif variety bred in the Rhone, in 1883. Most sources claim that Durif was first imported into Calif in 1884 by Charles McIver down in SanJose. Not sure where the truth lies in this case.
    Tom

Thanks for the TN’s, Tom!!

I have not had any of the above wines (I think I have a “Compagni-Portis” white tucked away somewhere). The “Puccini” was always a unicorn wine, and am sad to see that it didn’t do anything for you.

According to the Bedrock website, regarding the Drummond’s Cuvee PS “…The 2018 comes entirely from the single old-vine Petite Sirah block at Teldeschi Ranch on the Dry Creek Bench. Here, the 100+ year old Pets is field blended with small amounts of Cinsault, Peloursin, Carignan and Vaccarese, all of whom contribute some elegance and perfume to the variety’s natural extensity and propensity towards density of dimensity…”.