TNs: Some Recent Tastes (Caillez, Remi Leroy, Mousse, ArPePe, Kelley Fox, Tissot)

Just a backlog of notes on an assortment of wines we’ve been powering through the past couple weeks.

• NV Moussé Fils Champagne Anecdote Blanc de Blancs Brut Lieu Dit Les “Varosses” - France, Champagne (11/23/2020)
    Disg. Jan. 2019. Serious Champagne for the money. Cedric Mousse seems to do that well. Very pure fruit. Needs time to open. Poured my second glass and left it for 30 mins, came back to lovely texture and tropical fruit notes. Balance and finesse. Very fine. Will leave other two bottles alone for a bit.
  • 2015 Tissot (Bénédicte et Stéphane / André et Mireille) Arbois Les Graviers - France, Jura, Arbois (11/19/2020)
    Seemed kind of oaky and confected. It was sweet on the palate with green apple, toasty oak, nuts and cream. Acidity is still here, but starting to recede. Slightly oxidative. Some edge, but it leaves some warmth behind as well. Just ok for me.
  • NV Rémi Leroy Champagne Rosé - France, Champagne (11/18/2020)
    Disgorged. Dec 2018/2016 base. Bright and ripe and rather rich still. A good bit of jolly rancher ripe strawberry and raspberry. Finished with citrus cut. Tart. Slightly floral as it warms and opens. This disg. needs time for some of the rich fleshiness to recede a bit. Wait on next bottle. As of now, prefer Remi’s BdB by a good bit.
  • NV Caillez-Lemaire Champagne Reflets Brut - France, Champagne (11/14/2020)
    Almost a peach to burnt orange color. Smells of red apple and a high tones berry note. Fleshy on the palate, some roundness from the Meunier. Really improved as it sat open in glass and broadened a bit. Very good value.
  • 2018 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (11/16/2020)
    Shows some ripe red fruit and a sweet baking/xmas spice note on the nose. Red fruited on the palate, certainly ripe, but a dry/tart/citrus tartness levels the playing field. Finished with more tart red fruit and some puckering structure. Needs to unwind a bit, with potential for further positive development.
  • 2015 AR.PE.PE. Nebbiolo Valtellina Superiore - Grumello Rocca de Piro - Italy, Lombardia, Valtellina, Valtellina Superiore - Grumello (11/22/2020)
    Fairly straightforward. Almost glou glou in that it’s somewhat raw and natural. Very fresh red fruit. Light. Lacks concentration. Good, if bordering on being a bit simple right now.
    Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes. Do you see the Rocca de Piro having upside? I think I have a bottle of the 2010 vintage lying around somewhere (Riserva-designated, although I believe it is still the same wine).

Yeah that’s super young to be drinking the crus, it has lots of upside.

As Michael said, it is on the young side for this wine. But, a taster I trust has a note on CT speaking to early drinking on this one, so I took a shot. I think my reaction is in-line with some of what others’ notes have said. I will say, if this wine just needs time, than it is super-duper-shut up-closed-up like I’ve not seen before as the wine just was not that interesting right now. To me, it wasn’t like there’s a wall of structure and this wine needs 10 years. I don’t know - I’m not a long-time drinker of Arpepe. I have another bottle that I will wait on. Good luck on the 2010!

Dennis, nice notes as always. Who knows on the Arpepe. Could be too young or as you say lifeless with little chance to improve.

Last year a 2005 was showing very well. One of the top wines from a Valtellina tasting.

ArPePe, Sassella, “Rocce Rosse” Valtellina Superiore Riserva DOCG 2005: Sweet ripe cherry nose with some tar and mint. Flavors follow with ripe cherry, tar, floral notes, earthy, some herbs and it is very savory, Great acidity, lovely balance, could drink this all night. More please.

Thanks, Tom! Your note is what I was looking for. Maybe just too early. Cheers.

Yeah Astor has the 02 rocce rosse lately for 69. I’ve been drinking the crus from 02-06 lately so 15 is super early.

Well the Riservas (such as the Rocce Rosse) are without a doubt for the long haul but it is this mid level (Rocca de Piro and others) that I would be curious to know more about. My experience with the 2012 Stella Retica about a year ago was very similar to Dennis’ here - good drinking but I didn’t see obvious cellaring potential there. Certainly much lighter and less structured than the Riservas that I’ve had.