TN: 2017 Louis Michel & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux Vielles Vignes

Absolutely beautiful wet stone and saline character that frames delicate white flowers, lemon oil, touch of grapefruit rind. Really lovely texture; lightly waxy but still taut and focused, lifted but intense, with a beautiful stony finish. Depth of the old vines coming through. Really appreciate the singular focus on the purity of fruit & terroir expression and the absolutely outrageous value at $40USD/$60 CAD. Tons left in the tank to age and develop. World-class, total winner.

I just took delivery of the 2018. No doubt it will be richer, but ai trust Michel.

Interesting. As you know opened one of these last week and it is a lovely wine. It certainly is very well balanced and complete, but to me is a riper expression of Chablis. It doesn’t possess the same eye squinting freshness of wines such as last night’s '17 Fevre Montmains.

Nice! Have a four-pack coming.

I agree it’s not absolutely electric as far as acid or energy goes - and I do love a good shock! - but I think the balance is fantastic. I think the ripeness expresses itself with texture rather than fruit quality, so I don’t find it to be too much.

Inexpensive, butteaux so delicious.

I like big Butteauxs, and I cannot lie.

My Fall shipment from Envoyer just got here-from all of my impulse purchases since March-and I was (gladly) surprised at how much Louis Michel I had purchased. I’ve got quite a few lined up to try over the coming weeks. Thanks for the note on this.

So, more like the 15 and 16 vintages then?

I laughed out loud.