Smaller Producer of Merlot Washington St

Any suggestions of some smaller producers worth exploring that are making really good Merlot in Washington St? Like to find one or two mailing list of producers doing the “right thing” and making some really good Merlot?

Not sure about mailing lists but…these are the Merlot or Merlot dominant blends that are very good to excellent most years.

Longshadows Pedestal
Betz Clos de Betz
Bookwalter Conflict
Avennia Valery
Cadence Coda

Thanks, I have been drinking Longshadows for years. They are great. But i thought there maybe some smaller producers doing something special. I will look at your list. Thanks again!

I’ve always enjoyed Baer’s Merlot blends. Baer’s winemaker Erica Orr has her own brand (Orr Wines) that has just released a single varietal Merlot that may be worth a look. Good prices at both labels.

Do you know if the Orr wines will be sold via Baer or completely on her own?

The Baer products have always been a great, consistent product. Would like to try the Orr product.

Thanks for the tip on the Orr Merlot. I just placed a small direct order.

Not to head off on a tangent, but does anyone have experience with her Grenache?

Andy

Could also try Long Haul from Mark Ryan and Upchurch Counterpart which can be upwards of 65% Merlot. Woodward Canyon has always made a great Merlot.

Her Chenin Blanc is also damn good!

On their own. www.orrwines.com

For merlot, my first thought was Force Majeure’s Epinette right bank blend.

For grenache, check out Elephant Seven. If they still have some of the 2018 available, it’s worth checking out.

Oh my…great suggestions. Orders in on Orr and Baer! Thanks

Way cool to see my project mentioned here and to see orders coming in from you guys!

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving, Berserkers!
Erica
ericaorrwines.com

Best of luck to you Erica. Would you mind sharing your winemaking style/philosophies with us???

I have had some Baer in the past, but it has been many years.

Leonetti makes a killer Merlot. You might have a lengthy weight before getting on their list though. Pepper Bridge has a good merlot as well.

I think I met you when you were working at Rudd. I like both Merlot and Grenache, so I ordered a mixed case to give them a go.

Michael, that’s wild that we met at Rudd … that feels like a long time ago now. What a beautiful place to work!

following up on Dave’s question about my winemaking philosophy … My 2018 Orr Merlot is actually 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, all from Stillwater Creek Vineyard in the newly minted Royal Slope AVA. It’s sustainably farmed by Ed Kelly and I’ve been working with this fruit for my consulting client Baer since 2007. It’s a 10 barrel blend, 9 neutral French oak barrels and 1 new Sylvain French oak barrel and the wine was blended and bottled unfined and unfiltered after 20 months in oak.
I think it is classically Merlot - red fruited, savory, generous with a long finish that leaves your mouth watering. 2018 is a stunning vintage for Columbia Valley Cab and Merlot.

The Grenache I’ve been making for 5 years now, learning by doing, and subtly changing the style with each vintage. Next month I’ll be offering a holiday 3-pack vertical of my grenache (2016 2017 2018) if you’re interested in tasting that evolution in real time. The 2019 Grenache I’m selling on my website now is a blend- it’s 10% Mourvedre (whole cluster fermented in oak) and 2% Syrah, blended and aged in neutral French oak barrels for 9 months. It’s fresh and charming with cran-raspberry, pomegranate black tea flavors.

My wines have been sold only through distribution up until literally right now so it’s pretty exciting to engage directly with consumers like this! Thanks for the interest!

E

Hey, Erica…btw just ordered a mix case. Originally, interested in your merlot, but decided to get a more rounded view? Why the Sylvainan oak? How is 2019 merlot looking? So many questions!

I interviewed Erica for my blog back in 2017…good insights on her path until then.

Nice article Randy. Yes it was Michael and Pike and Western that sold me Erica’s Chenin Blanc. I enjoyed it and have bought it off and on over the years.

Sylvain is a producer of French oak barrels, from multiple forests, I think you may be confusing it with Slovenian oak which is from a country outside of France.