Coupla Cali Rieslings

2017 Tatomer Vandenberg Santa Barbara: First things first - in my book this is slightly off-dry, but I realize that Riesling drinkers would probably consider it dry. And I can go along with that, sure - it’s just on the edge of falling into any category. To me this feels like 2-3 g/l RS, but without knowing acid it’s hard to tell. On both the nose and palate I get that slight “native grape” vibe, as in a Muscadine wine. Now, that isn’t a bad thing at all in my world, but it is a little atypical. This is skewed towards rubber pool toys rather than gasoline, although they’re certainly in the same wheelhouse those notes. No green apple, no lemon notes, which is the atypical part. I like it. 90pts.

2019 Bedrock Wirz Vineyard Cienega Valley: Been a few days now, so not that fresh in my memory. But this was very dry, without being austere. I’d say bone dry minus (as in veering into having some RS). Educated guess 1g/l RS. Classic Riesling notes across the board. I thought it was a great rendition and Pat Wirz fruit is always compelling in any winemakers hand - if I’m not mistaken this is dry-farmed and the vines are from the 60’s. 91+pts.