2015 Enfield Shake Ridge Tempranillo

Not a lot of releases get me really excited but this one, released after 2 years in barrel and 3 years in bottle has hooked me.

Can’t wait to put one into my group’s bi-weekly blind tasting!

Same here. Have you tasted the 2018 Pretty Horses? It’s really good.

No, I didn’t get anything from that release. I"m in Canada and with the border closed I don’t want things just sitting in a PO box for the next few months (and I already have a bunch of stuff that’s been in mine since Feb…).

I"ll buy this regardless, too much to pass up.

14 is drinking beautifully right now. Dried, sweet fruits with a long, haunting finish - almost like a great and ancient Madeira.

Much more of an old barrel influence than his other wines. Very tasty.

Does anyone know how much new oak was used for this wine? Thanks in advance.

I don’t know, but I just bought 6 of them along with 3 of the 2018 Tempranillo and 3 chards.

I just ordered four, and also dropped a note to John letting him know there was a question.

I’m in for a 6-pack I think.

I ordered the 6 pack and then ordered 3 of each Tempranillo. I like to mix it up.

FYI - the 2018 Pretty Horses is delicious!

I passed on the first offer, probably hit at a bad time. Thanks to Hardy’s joint virtual tasting I discovered Enfield, crazy about the Foot tread rose.

I don’t see a whole lot of Enfield in my market, but when I do I try to snatch it up. Some really good chardonnay and the Syrah is quite nice too. Now I’ll have to hunt for the tempranillo…

Dug a 2014 out of the cellar. Maybe do a side by side after the 2015 rests for a bit.

I’d email them (or call). very responsive. I commented on an instagram post and Jon called me to make sure I wasn’t upset about something!

I tried the '15 Shake Ridge on Sunday night- It is very very very good. The price doesn’t make any sense.

Also, '14 Pretty Horses is awesome right now.

Somewhere I have a '14 Pretty Horses. Time to do some excavating.

Mark - no new wood on the 15, but the Tempranillo stems have very similar aromatics of cinnamon and clove and I often get people guessing there is some new wood.

1 Like

David, the 14 and 15 will be quite different - and should be a fun side by side. The 2015 saw a 40 day extended maceration like the 2012, so those will be the two most similar vintages.

Thanks John. I will grab a 2012 for the comparison.

Any descriptors on what this tastes like besides “really really good”? Can any comparisons be made to modern/trad rioja? Or a completely different beast? thanks in advance.