WE Top 100

Yes it’s the time of year for lists. I scanned this pretty well and didn’t find a single Anderson Valley OR Mendocino county wine. I guess '17 & '18 were good in many other locations. I’m expecting many amazing wines from the north coast to be released soon.

Do you mean The Wine Speculator or Enthusiast? Didn’t realize the latter did a top whatever list, too.

Casey

We were #28 in the Cellar Selections Top 100 (the ageable wines). There are other Mendo wines in that list.

Paul

Ok so I got 3 Mendocino wines on that list.

I thought their Top 100 was a bit surprising, and seemed to take price into consideration a bit too much, but I think they included a lot of quality wines on the Top 100 Cellar Selections

This actually was the Wine Enthusiast list, not the WS list which will be out over the next two weeks.

I cannot speak for the WE list, but as to the WS list, traditionally their list was made up of wines which had “larger” distribution (and was somewhat price considerate) so their readers could possibly have them. Meaning, for example, a wine that had 300 cases made would not make the list no matter the score. Interestingly, after seeing the list, the number one wine on the WE list - a 2017 Lail Blueprint Cab- was available at Total Wine so I ordered two online for pickup today.

The Navarro Gewurz? #90

I dunno. While I admit getting some enjoyment or validation in seeing wines I own or favor on these lists, more interesting is to get ideas of new things to try. Only issue of course is that by the time these are published, many have already sold through or are on the the next vintage.

Of the lists I have seen, this one is the most interesting and avoids just rehashing the usual suspects. YMMV

I had some nice wines in 2020, but nothing that blew my doors off. I think overall the whites led the reds for me. Off the top of my head the two reds that drank well were a 2009 M Etain Cab and 2010 Tor Beckstoffer To Kalon Anniversary Cuvee.

For sure value is the theme this year. Not the best list in my opinion. Austin Hope at 7. The Caymus of Paso.

I like end of year lists. It gives us all something to bitch about. WS has made a great living doing their reveal of the top 100. Last year’s WS list had Roederer Estate high end sprinklers around #7 which was a pretty deal for our neighborhood. I made the WE year end list once #22 for my Eaglepoint Petite Sirah. Honk…Honk!

All I see there is a lot of wine that would have a hard time selling were it not for a list like that. The fact that a Bonterra Merlot from ‘California’ made the top 100 wines of the year tells you all you need to know. Out of 100 wines, there aren’t many on that list I’d be interested in buying.

Everyone loves value and there are plenty of good wines in this price range, but hard to be a credible top 100 list when nearly 60 of the wines are $30 or less, including many <$20. Agree I don’t want to drink most of these. And I second the comment on Austin Hope.

All I see there is a lot of wine that would have a hard time selling were it not for a list like that. The fact that a Bonterra Merlot from ‘California’ made the top 100 wines of the year tells you all you need to know. Out of 100 wines, there aren’t many on that list I’d be interested in buying.

Agree weak list.

From Washington: 2018 Luke (sub in a Januik)
2018 Eroica (put something new in there that is white. This wine is always in one of these lists)

2018 William Fèvre Champs Royaux never dislike this wine but 93?
2018 Luca Old Vine Malbec Why would you put a $35 rated 93 points at number 4? There are cheaper wines on this list that are higher rated. Makes zero sense to me.

30 years of retail…30 years explaining that the WE is nothing less than a promotional industry puff-piece. At least the WS top 100 has some historical validity. I actually will put a bottle back on the shelf if I see a WE hang-tag.

Both lists are ‘interesting’ to put it mildly - the Cellar Selection list is a lot more ‘interesting’ and seems to be quite heavy in OR and WA wines. Alas, only one SB County wine made that list - and it was a chardonnay. I hear ya, Casey - it’s tough to be on the ‘outside’ on these lists pretty much each and every year from a regional perspective . . .

Cheers