Overdue Aggregated TNs

Sorry, been a bit preoccupied, I guess. From the last couple of months, so some of this has some foggy memory attached to it.

2016 Quivet Pellet Cabernet

Redolent with red and purple fruit in the aromatics, this really defines “big”. It is super-rich and pretty charged in the mouth, very glycerin in feel, at least right now. For me, while I’m not a full AFWE adherent, I have to admit that this is too much for my own personal tastes, though made quite well of course.

2010 Pierre Gimonnet Cuvee Fleuron

Superfine and pretty, both in nose and on the tongue. Very composed with good just-enough-aggressive mousse and feel. A delight to drink, would love to have more of this. The difference from what I remember of the 2009 vintage (have only had the regular cuvee) in terms of style is quite startling.

2010 Molino di Sant Animo Paolus Brunello di Montalcino

There is a good sense of balance and depth to this wine, but I found it to still be fairly kinetic with an acidic bite and some rusticity on the finish. I gave it about 2 hours’ decanting, probably needed more. I do think there’s a ceiling here, but it’s higher than what we had, which was a mildly promising wine today.

2015 Brave One Merlot

This was a fine surprise. Clear and just-enough fresh cherry and plums here and this is extremely smooth dans la bouche. There’s no real sense of heat whatsoever. Drinking quite well right now. My first from here and I’d happily have more.

2016 Valdicava Rosso di Montalcino

I wanted to check in on this. I won’t look at my other bottle for 3 or 4 years. Bordering on shrill—it isn’t, it’s just so very, very young. For that, there are pokes of balsam and raspberry and currant fruit popping up with a touch of leather.

2011 Chateau Cos D’Estournel

Was quite interested to try this. And while everything is “in place” with curls of light herbs and dark berry fruit on nose and on the palate, there isn’t an extra level of excitement or glamour in any way. I put that down to the vintage, though I’ll say this is probably the best 11 red from Bordeaux that I’ve tried.

I won’t comment on a 2001 Rieussec that I opened for this dinner—we are all pretty sure that I had an off bottle.

2016 Myriad Round Pound Cab

I preferred this, on another night, to the 15 Quivet Pellet—found the same ripe red fruit but with some added baking spices and cocoa, and this felt smoother and longer and a bit more balanced than the Pellet. Still this higher-toned style, but enjoyed it, especially with prime rib

2016 Westcott Estates Reserve Pinot Noir

Ontario, from my fave pinot producer here. And though I thought it would be another year or two to apogee, it’s not. This is just fine when I smell it and taste it. Berries, crabapple and just the smallest sense of creamy, yet with sidebar acidity still present. Very honestly, I find myself comparing to a Beaune Premier Cru…favourably.

2010 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot Noir

Still sturdy enough, with mix of dark strawberry and some hints of blackberry and earth, but also missing the drive and true interest that the Santa Cruz SVDs give me. I’ve had one really good bottle of this and two ordinary bottles…just not sure–for me–that the Rhys style marries harmoniously with the Bearwallow plot.

2018 Turley Juvenile Zin

I expected big. I got less than that. This was a simple but delicious mouthful of wine, some brush, some peppery and plenty of juicy fruit. For C$50, I will be the last person to complain

2016 Zaha Altamira Malbec

Whee—traces of cinnamon and mocha to accent plum and bilberry scents. More than decently complex on the tongue, checks in with lots of parts of my mouth. For C$23, stunning value—grabbed 4 more.

2018 Eyrie Pinot Gris

Have loved older stuff of this from here, super-surprised to find it on the LCBO shelves. Well…I hate being this blunt, but it was an oversweet alcoholic mess. There’s really no subtlety here at all, and it ended up being unfun to drink. I hope this is just an anomaly as, among other experiences, a 1988 drunk a few years ago was truly memorable in such a good way.

2008 Edouard Brun 1er Cru Champagne

Didn’t decant or aerate and should have–super-tight on opening and stayed that way the whole night. That wonderful 2008 sense of being coiled is all over this wine, with laser precision and mouthwatering lemon and unripe apple components. Keep these another 5-10 years and enjoy what is to come. Terrific potential

2015 Antoine Jobard St. Aubin Sur le Sentier de Clou

A somewhat reticent wine on opening, this kept getting better in the glass and the next day, fanning out with fine touches of toast, nougat, pear and apple. A very complete wine when it was done presenting itself. Liked.

2008 Potinet-Ampeau Meursault Porusots

Found this orphan bottle in my local store and had to make sure it made it to a happy home. Granted, Porusots is probably my least favourite of the Meursault 1ers, this is still Meursault we’re talking about (my favourite commune) and 2008. No sign of degradation at all, a pretty nuzzie of flowers, very light vanilla and apple with underbreath of nuttiness. The nut side does come forth on the palate with fruit and even a trace of truffle in the background. While not in any way premoxed, this is showing as a fairly mature 2008 where I am happy to have some tertiary characteristics, including a brush of saline, show up. Doesn’t knock it out of the park, but a solid single to left. I have one more which I will probably consume within the next 2 years.

2015 Chateau Coutet Barsac

Wanted to get an early read on this vintage. This has a childlike charm about it, a sort of cheery effervescence (without a lot of acidity) in fruit presentation, perhaps a shade more tropical than usual for this house. It’s not going to be anywhere near a “classic” but does offer its own enjoyability and should remain stable in this incarnation for at least a decade.

2001 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon

Never come close to having anything this old from them. I gave it about 4 hours’ slow-ox and that seemed to be fine. This shows some presence on the bouquet, with violets, a combination of cedar and sandalwood, and defined currant fruit. Replays on the palate with touches of pine. Went equally well with salmon and stew, a telling comment. I like this wine for the identity it shows.