What are your views on Australian wines now?

After reading some of the older reviews of how Australian wines were viewed in the 90’s '00 and the last 10 years, I was interested to hear from people if any new opinions regards to the new styles from here are doing? Are these new softer styles actually getting through to the USA, Asia and EU? or is the demand for our BIG reds still a thing?

I am based in the cooler climates of Australia and have seen a definite shift in taste preferences to the lighter styles of reds here in Oz.

Are there any wines varietals/styles we need to focus more on?

Would be interesting to hear any feedback.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I found that the new-wave wines of Australia were far more available in the UK than in the US. I wish more of them were available here, as I think there are some great wines coming out of Australia that are restrained and classic in style.

I used to drink a ton of them but really have not purchased many lately. Really like the 2014 Jamsheed Syrah Harem Series La Syrah from Yarra Valley for two reasons. One not a big style Shiraz and two got a case for $11.00 a bottle.

There seems to be a far amount of Aussie Wines from the 2000s still out there at decant prices. If you can find the 04 vintage buy.

WTSO has moved a fair amount of Clarendon Hills wines which is one of my favorite producers from Australia.

I would love to hear from others on newer vintages of the better producers.

Someone should tag Jan Janas here…

Welcome to the board Andrew! Just an FYI that if you’re in the business (which it looks like you are) you need to list that in your signature.

As to your question - I like an Australian red from time to time and have been interested in trying some of the most recent/apparently softer styles but haven’t done so yet. I have however started dipping my toe in the Hunter Valley Semillon pool, which I’m pretty excited about.

Thanks so far guys! and nice to feel welcome!
Some of the great wines Ive been opening for the rockstars (pre-covid) have been met with new found enthusiasm.
Wines from the regions of Yarra Valley, Grampians, Heathcote and Beechworth have become fascinating indeed.
The bolder Australian Pinot styles seem to be equal to those from the ones Ive tasted from Oregon.

This may be wrong or unfair, but I’m mildly irked by this notion that Australia makes all these great balanced wines, but they mostly just send us the goopy fruit bombs, and it’s somehow our fault. [To be clear, this isn’t a reaction to anything above in this thread.]

If and when I can find interesting balanced wines from Australia (whether traditional or new wave producers), I’m open to trying them. Until then, there’s no shortage of good wine from the US, Europe and lots of other places. So I think the ball is in Australia’s court for now.

The notion is true, but it’s unfair to blame the producers. They can’t force the importers to bring in their wines, they can’t force shops to put them on their shelves and they can’t force consumers to buy them. It’s just not that simple.

i had a dream last night where i was in a small-town pub in NSW – where i have never been –
ordered a glass of chardonnay, and even in my dream i could taste the overbearing oak

What has to happen for more of these wines to reach the US? Distributors and retailers having some confidence or optimism that they would find buyers? Critics talking some of them up to spur demand?

On one hand, I can understand it, since demand for Aussie wines is probably soft in the US, people will perceive them to be like the Aussie imports from 20 years ago, there are thousands of other options anyway, and we are talking about wines that are in less of a crowd pleaser style by their nature.

On the other hand, you can find the better wines from almost everywhere in the world and in every style in the USA - why wouldn’t that be true for Australia as well?

I guess it will just take time for some small breakthroughs to happen.

My wine life started in the UK but I’ve been in the US since 2010. The selection of Australian wines here (US) is pretty thin in comparison to the UK.

There have always been producers making great, balanced wines in Australia. I’m not a big fan of the fruit bombs, and the only Aussie producer I buy Syrah from is Clonakilla, when I can find it. But I drink quite a lot of Coonawarra cab (Wynns, Yalumba, Jim Barry, Balnaves, a bit of Penley), Hunter Semillon (mostly Brokenwood and Tyrrells), some Clare/Eden Riesling, Leeuwin, Tahbilk’s Marsanne, some Henschke, de Bortoli’s botrytized Semillon. It’s just tough to find very much. There’s some Yarra stuff but almost nothing from the other regions you mentioned.

I don’t really understand people’s aversion to Australian wines based on some bomby Shiraz. Presumably most of us here are aware of the diversity in any wine region, let alone a whole continent.

Might as well start trying to change the world here on WB.

Someone discover a few good and reasonably priced examples of this lighter style of Aussie reds which have found it into the US, and post them on here. I guess any new wave producers would be of particular interest. Maybe I or someone can give them a spin and see if any interest catches on from that.

Love the Semillons. Just rarely drink new world reds - from anywhere really (outside of an occasional Cali/Oregon Pinot Noir).

Haven’t had 100% Semillon on the table in many moons (I recall Wente). Don’t know why we got away from it. Can you name some Aussies to be on the lookout for? (Assuming you are talking dry )Thanks.

Brokenwood is probably my favorite, and fairly easy to find, as is Tyrell’s Semillon. I am still experimenting myself (and am purchasing as much South African Semillon) but the Hunter Valley is where the bulk of the best Semillons come from.

Washington State produces some superb Semillon as well. L’Ecole #41 is a long time favorite.

Australia is so diverse. Every region has developed from the days where Australia was considered Yellow Tail or Marquis Phillips/Mollydooker.

Sparkling from Tasmania
Whites and reds from Margaret River
Old vine Shiraz from Clare and McLaren Vale
Cab from Coonawarra
Semillon from Hunter

It is one of the great regions for quality and value in the world across dozens of varieties, along with South Africa, Argentina, and Washington.

I agree. Marketing is a tough gig. I guess most of these artisanal wines are made in such small numbers that they probably sell them all easily in Australia. Also, as imports are expensive there 50-100% more than in the States they can charge more there and still be competitive. The flip side being that European wines are much cheaper in Europe and the States, so they would have to cut their prices to be competitive. Why would they do that if they can get higher prices in their home market?

I agree that big critical or some other big event would be needed to change the current dynamic.

Interestingly, I bought some Leeuwin Estate Prelude Chardonnay bases on some comments on this board. Stunning for the price. Maybe White Burgundy killer once people get sick of higher and higher prices?

You know that Hunter Valley Sémillon is a pretty singular style, right? Nothing to do with the other Sémillons around the world.

Audrey Wilkinson, First Creek, McWilliam’s Mount Pleasant, Tyrrell’s and Brokenwood are some the great names you can dig into.

If you are unfamiliar with HVS, do take notice that the wines can be quite thin and uninspiring in their youth and normally require 10-ish years or more before they start to show their best. If you have access to any older vintages, try look for them.

I suppose d’Arenberg is available in the US? Almost everybody knows the massively big Dead Arm Shiraz, but the overall d’Arenberg style is very old school, i.e. acid-and-structure-driven with emphasis on savory fruit, not ripeness or overdone oak. They make wonderfully chiseled, old-world style reds and great, precise whites. Almost all wine see just old oak.

Fraser Gallop does wonderful things in Western Australia. Very serious and structure-driven wines that are more about focus and freshness than overextracted fruit. Terrific Cabs and Chardonnays, really.