Most impractical wine in the cellar?

I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It’s nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great…but still I can’t even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.

I was mentally sifting through the cellar to decide what I could offer in response. But I can’t compete.

Kelly, I bow before you as the True Epitome of Impracticality. I have nothing remotely worthy of the conversation.

champagne.gif

You might as well open that Loosen. I doubt it’s getting better!

I have quite a bit of impractical Riesling in large bottles, 14 of them it seems 3l+.

Indeed.

Three liters of eiswein. [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

You have to wonder what they were thinking when they bottled it.

I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It’s nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great…but still I can’t even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.

In a few years when it is safe to do neighborhood get togethers invite the neighbors. Grill some brats with the rieslings or donate it to a charity auction!

The only thing I could think of that beats that is an even larger bottle of desert wine. I bought a 3L of Lauer barrel x but I figure that will make a great bottle to bring to a summer party.

I am from MN and if anyone had a MN wine in their cellar that would be very impractical especially since this year can’t get together and do the white elephant gifting.

Ha! A related question might be: How about an utterly impractical bottle in your cellar that you don’t even like?

Somehow a few years back I found myself holding a 3L Bellevue Mondotte from 2003 – spoof on steroids from the spoofiest year! (Apologies to any BM fans out there, but not my cup of tea.)

Anyway, there was an easy solution to that one: charity auction! ($1,000 in fact.) But not sure a 3L eiswein will even generate any bids…

6L bottles of d’Yquem are usually what I most closely associate with “impractical”. I have a 15L 1994 Rauzan Segla that would generally fit the bill. I’m not even sure how to physically decant it (though I found a helpful YouTube video).

On the bright side the 1994 RS is drinking really well now (from 750).

Oh boy! That is indeed even worse.

I’m pretty sure I like all of our crazy bottles. But we do have more than four cases of '89 Poniatowski Clos Baudoin. Slightly more practical, but still…

That’s a tough draw. Maybe if it was marketed in advance to wedding venues as a dessert accompaniment, that would draw attention in a general market. Can give it a go for charity. Might be more of a game of “no backsies” for the lucky winner that doesn’t realize what they are getting.

3 L of Eiswein is not for the meek. And I know I’d need to run quite a few miles to wear that off after. Probably a marathon. And I like Eiswein.

Mark, if you can somehow bring that big boy on your next trip to your hometown, I promise I will assemble a worthy throng of imbibers.

6 qt pot of Creme Brûlée?

I knew someone that had a 9L of Château d’Yquem. I always wondered when something like that gets opened, if ever.

Yeah Rich, 3L is not what I would call a “precious” amount.

Any half bottle of Champagne…

Any wine in a plastic bag…

That

Winner

Split of Champagne … For those crappy end of work week Fridays when your mate is out of town.

Plastic bag … well several years ago some quite drinkable if not exactly fine Aussie Shiraz were on the shelves here in tetra packs which were very handy for stowing in the keel which is a better temp the normal booze locker on the boat (The people I used to sail with weren’t exactly wine people).