TN: 1959 Ch. Carbonnieux

TN: 1959 Ch. Carbonnieux, Graves de Leognan

Purchased at auction a few years ago, bottle in good condition, fill base next.

Upon opening foil the cork was slightly depressed. Removing with The Durand the cork disintegrated.

Tasting note here some four hours after opening, last taste:

Mature Bordeaux robe, medium purply brown center shading to brick red and rust and a light watery rim.

The aromas easily waft from the glass: black tea, candied cherries, nutmeg, settling warm ribroast, blood oranges, walnut tea, loamy earth and dried fallen leaves. On the attack the wine is bright and acidic, tart red cherries, a solid but distant center core of good soil tones, with on the finish the addition of bitter flavors of tea and coffee skins, with the final finish being lingering bright red fruit red currants. Earlier the flavors had more predominant earthy mushroom qualities.

Overall really quite fine, true claret. Well done and thank you to those involved in making and storing it.

Nice. Thanks for sharing the experience.

The 1955 I had from a very good cellar was dead when I opened it a couple of weeks ago. Glad you had a good bottle. Drank one of your 2012 Trapets as a data point. Surprisingly open, primary of course, but very promising. Will wait five years for the next one.

It took me a few seconds to determine whether this was the rouge or blanc…

Glad it was enjoyable.