Eurocave Wine Storage in Laundry Room

We are looking into buying a EuroCave for wine storage and aging. We have a large laundry room with a perfect space for the Eurocave…however, I am concerned about keeping wine in an area where we are washing clothes, having cleaning products, etc. wondering if that could at all affect the wine? Maybe I’m overthinking it and this is not a concern at all? Any ideas?

Since laundry rooms tend to get quite warm, I’d be more concerned with the motor potentially overheating either from having to constantly work in the warm environment or from not having a place to properly vent to (again due to the warm environment).

That’s where mine is. No issues to report. My eurocave started it’s life in my 105 degree garage and kept up fine. As the value of my collection increased the risk of total loss due to failure became too great so I moved it inside. That was 12ish years ago. Still running great.

Just make sure you clean out the compressor area regularly. Lint from the dryer can cause issues. We have ours in the basement utility area and have had not issues

I’ve had a EuroCave in the laundry room for 9 years and recently added a second unit. So far so good. The only time that I have ever had a problem was when the cord came loose from the back of the older unit, when I was wrestling the newer unit into place. I’ve only cleaned out the compressor area twice, but may try to make that an annual event.

My very first Eurocave unit lived in garage for the first five years and did a great job. It was designed to work in extreme temperatures. (I don’t think they make that model any longer.) When we moved across country, the movers dropped it on a stone walkway. It still did a great job keeping a constant temp but the frame was bent and the some of sliding shelves would fall out of their railings when I pulled them out.

What is the best pairing for tide pods?

1 Like

Think through the thermodynamics of what you are doing. If you persist, make sure you keep all your dryer exhaust hoses cleared frequently, and measure your temp/humidity variation. The harder you make the Eurocave work - dealing with changes - the shorter its lifespan.

It may be the only space you have, but short of an exterior uncooled/unheated garage its one of the last places I’d pick in a house.

I didn’t see anyone mention the potential vibration that a washer and dryer might make and how that might affect the Eurocave.

Gronk and Ham.

BTW, I agree that a laundry room is not the ideal place to store wine. I’ve just never been able to convince my wife to let me build a dedicated wine room, which would require some serious excavation of the crawlspace underneath our kitchen.

The good news is that I think wine storage in the laundry room can be made to work just fine. I’ve had several fabulous bottles recently that have lived in the Eurocave unit in the laundry room since 2011, including some 95/96/00 Bordeaux and an otherworldly 96 Hill of Grace.

Two caveats that I didn’t mention above: We have a rubberized floor that may limit the transmission of vibrations and a dehumidifier.

Overthinking.
Unless your floors are made of steel sheeting & do laundry for hours each day, I can’t see vibration being any concern.
Unless you keep your laundry room at an unusually higher temp than the rest of your home, the same.