TN: 2017 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2017 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/27/2020)
    Curiosity got the better of me and I opened this earlier than I usually would. Gave it two hours in the decanter and then shared with my wife, my eldest son, and his girlfriend (all of them Black Cat fans). The nose was a little bit reticent, but the palate was full of black raspberries and fine pipe tobacco - which is something I haven’t tasted in other Black Cats. The tannins were surprisingly approachable at this early stage, and the finish was clean with just a hint of acidity. This was quite good tonight, but I expect it will be even better in a few years. Everyone had it as their favorite of the evening, among three wines. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. The Black Cat is a family favorite in our house as well. We had the 2012, on Wednesday and it was excellent as usual.

The 2012 is one of my favorite vintages - second only to the 2009.

I opened one of these recently - had hardly tasted it since bottling in June of 2019. Interestingly, I found the bouquet to be one of the more exciting elements of this vintage (at least on that day!). Floral notes all but overwhelmed…all roses and white flowers. Andy’s experience was different from ours. All good.

1 Like