BAMA Pairing?

I’ve been lurking/absorbing the knowledge on this board for awhile. As an impressionable (relative) youth, I have sought out my first bottle of Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre, 2010. From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, I understand that it is not a “typical” Bordeaux. For the BAMA enthusiasts, what food pairings work best?

Rack or saddle of lamb! Give it a two-hour decant.

Rack of lamb was first thought to come to my mind. I am also a big fan of fattier salmon, like Copper River, and more traditional Bordeaux.

How about for someone that doesnt like lamb?

roll tide

If not lamb or salmon, duck is always a good option.

A big chunk of beef stewed for 24 hours with onions, broth, garlic and red wine (not the BAMA! :joy:) was a great match with our ‘00 recently.

Was there last night. The BAMA got off to a slow start, but with some proper airing out and coaxching, things turned out rather splendid.

tournedos of beef or a beef Wellington with black truffle in the duxelles

Thank you for the suggestions! Lamb has been my go to for classified Bordeaux. I have the impression that BAMA will be more subtle than modern expressions of Bordeaux which is why I am cautious to avoid overwhelming the wine. Maybe I’m overthinking it a bit.

Regarding the other BAMA: they looked amazing last night, have to be the favorite to win it all, right?

Minimum. In our vertical the 2010 BAMA was ridiculously understated even after having been many hours open and more than an hour in a decanter. These wines really do take their time if opened too young (aka. before their 15th birthday) and can take ridiculous amounts of aeration.

True enough! We drank the 1976 (far from my favorite vintage) a few weeks ago, and it was still almost painfully youthful.

That settles it — I’m dining at William’s place next chance I get!

No kidding, I was assuming this was a dinner at home with a $50 bottle of wine!

I had a vision of taking the Oxfordian Sir William to a real BAMA game. Real football. Not soccer, not cricket. Starting at Gallette’s with Yellow Hammers, going hard. All liquor. Walk to the quad for the BBQ and parties. Go harder. Then the game. Nothing else like a BAMA game. Loud. Energetic. Big Scores. That’s real BAMA!

64D6E34F-85D4-43EC-8B56-EFC405B4E007.jpeg

1 Like

You are now talking about sports with very little foot and no ball?

You clearly missed the drinking part. I was on my feet drinking for at least 17 hours!

Well at least now it sounds like real sports!

I like steak au poivre with trad Bordeaux. I might look for an older BAMA and squirrel away the 2010 for awhile though.

Sounds like a typical work day for me…

2 Likes