Do you clean your worm?

So, do you clean your corkscrew after each use, or just if you happen to notice TCA? I forgot to clean mine after using it previously on a tainted wine but fortunately no transfer (that I could perceive at least) occurred.

The thought of cleaning my worm has never occurred to me!

It’s a rather personal question.

AFTER I wash my face.

Often, and its wonderful

I sometimes forget when using a waiter’s corkscrew, but I always clean my durand between uses, both the worm and the prongs

Most of the time I’m using my Coravin (hooked up to an argon tank) and I’ve been using the same needle, without any cleaning, for about a year. It’s opened plenty of corked wines… So, no, I would never think to clean a worm after opening a corked bottle.

If you do it too often, you could go blind.

So, do you clean your corkscrew after each use, or just if you happen to notice TCA? I forgot to clean mine after using it previously on a tainted wine but fortunately no transfer (that I could perceive at least) occurred.

Jeremy -

Seriously - why bother?

Even if you put it into a TCA tainted cork, what are the chances you put that TCA into another cork? More to the point, what if you did? You’re taking that second cork out. It’s not like the TCA will instantly shoot through the cork and into the wine.

As a matter of fact, I rinsed my Durand yesterday.

I’m one of those strange people who washes his face last, I shave in the shower. (My face not my worm.)

Seriously sometimes you people scare me [thumbs-up.gif]

I’m a Berserker! Rational thought is a secondary consideration.

As a fellow Catholic, I resemble this.

Its my worm and I’ll clean it as vigorously as I like.

That’s not how TCA works. I’ve never washed my literal worm…

I have a special “Screw-det “ I use to washclean my ‘Waiter’s Friend’ after I soil it by uncorking a bottle.

I try to avoid CTDS, corkscrew transmitted detritus. It’s my own personal Viet Nam, so to speak.

It’s NOT a worm, It’s a Snake ! [wow.gif]

I use bleach.

Try some nonoxynol-9.