Alcohol Law Newsletter - free subscriptions and solicitation of articles

The Wine, Beer and Spirits Law Committee of the Business Law Section of the New York State Bar Association is commencing the publication of an Alcohol Law Newsletter. We are doing the entire design ourselves, with a tentative budget of zero, so fancy artistry is neither likely nor a high priority. The graphic highlight of the first issue will be a photograph of the wines lined up at the silent auction table at this year’s Falltacular. The first issue will feature articles on possible changes in import tariffs as a result of the change in the White House; recent SCOTUS decisions on the 21st Amendment and the continuing unresolved disagreements between the circuit courts on those issues; and an article promised by one of the committee members with the topic that I do not recall.

We expect to distribute the inaugural issue just after the first of the year. Distribution will be entirely electronic by email. We are targeting quarterly issues, but the naysayers are insisting that there is no way we will be able to keep up a quarterly publication. We are therefore soliciting articles from others who are not members of our committee for future issues (THAT MEANS YOU, LEVENBERG!). We are not looking for law review articles with 100s of footnotes. Target article length is in the range of 750 to 1500 words, but since publication will be electronic, longer articles will be acceptable, provided that we do not have to go through the same lengthy process we had to go through when I was an editor of our law school’s law review (notably known by its citation moniker, the BUL(L) Rev).

We are also offering free email subscriptions to anyone who wants one. If you want to be on the subscriber list, please post your interest and your email address in this thread. If you absolutely positively want to keep your email address secret and it is not published somewhere else on the Internet so any idiot can find it, you can send me a PM, but I can’t guaranty that it will not get lost among other PMs. Sending me an email request to be added to the subscriber list is probably a fool’s errand.

1 Like

I’m interested. lbraem@verizon.net

bclayton72wine@gmail.com
boberto@massanois.com
bfischbach@massanois.com
nmalkames@massanois.com
dmartin@massanois.com
nwashburn@massanois.com

May I politely suggest you lead with the tariff article over the Falltacular wine review.

I’ll take it. There’s nothing I love more than reading legal stuff to reinforce my last-minute decision to not attend law school. sean@seanharding.com

rieslingfans@gmail.com

Happy to consult on any tariff articles.

Cjseiber@yahoo.com

Thanks.

The Falltacular wine review is not a wine review, it is just a photo and two sentences, one of which is a snotty comment about how the NY authorities will not give us a permit to do it in NY. The only reason I am using it at all is that I do not want the first page to just be pure text. It is a tall thin sidebar.

The tariff article will probably be on the cover and my article on SCOTUS decisions, which is the most egghead of the group, will probably be dead last.

And we thank you for that decision, to keep the profession clean. neener

Thanks Jay. We are interested to receive:

Greg@vdltwine.com
MaydaK@hotmail.com

Please enroll me

dkolin@protonmail.com

Jay, thank you for doing this. Please include me as well.

jdtraughber@gmail.com

Hot off the presses, the first issue has been released. Articles are titled:

• The Tariff Wars: You’re Going to Need a Drink

• Are the COVID-19 Related State Alcohol Law and Rules Changes Here to Stay?

• The Dormant Commerce Clause and Equal Protection Go to War with the 21st

We are emailing the newsletter to interested persons today. If you want a copy and have not signed up, please list your interest below.

Is there a funnies section?

Can you email.me, first.last@gmail

Thank you, Jay. Please sign me up: dbg@comcast.net.

paul.e.miller@comcast.net

Thanks!

Thomas@glasgow.org

Thanks

Philipnjones@yahoo.com

No. I left off any photos of the Buttfumble or other famous events in Jets history. AND I want to turn the page on Trump, so no Internet memes on him either.

I’m interested. Warren.loui@gmail.com.

Thanks.