• Chablisienne Chablis
  • Francois Carillon Bourgogne Blanc
  • Joseph Drouhin Saint Véran
  • Kirkland 1er Cru Chablis
  • Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux
  • Michel Barraud Macon-Villages

0 voters

This is another offshoot of the Bottom Feeder thread

to pick the cheapest wine you’d be happy to drink from Europe’s top regions.

Ah Chardonnay. The big gun white wine? It definitely travels well, but Burgundy is its home and some will say it is still the best place for it.

Anyway, what do you think is the best value white Burg? From Chablis to Macon, there’s a big range of styles and prices.

I’ll wait a while before putting up the poll. From the main thread we already have:

Moirots Bourgogne Blanc $20
Jadot Macon-Villages $10
JM Brocard Ste. Claire $15

Any other good choices?

Remember, under $20 and it’s not which one you prefer, but which is the best value.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

Poll added. 2 picks each. Change of mind permitted.

This thread could look very different in a few months if the tariffs go away. Right now, European wine prices are artificially high.

I’ll go with Brun’s Beaujolais Blanc (technically Burgundy and definitely chardonnay).

It’s difficult to pick a winner in this category because pricing can vary significantly. I sometimes find Billaud-Simon, Droin, or Louis Michel Chablis in this price range, and any would be a strong contender in a good vintage. Regular pricing is higher for all of those though. I mentioned Brocard’s Cuvee Ste. Anne in the other thread and I’d likely stick with that for a wine regularly priced under $20. Heretiers de Comte Lafon Macon-Villages is another solid option. Chablisienne Chablis also a good choice.

B21 runs Francois Carillon Bourgogne Blanc for $19.99 time to time. Its incredible bourgogne blanc.

Joseph Drouhin Saint Véran is usually a solid choice and can often be found around $15.

I thought about including that one as well. Also a very good choice.

Another Burgundy white that I like in this price range is Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux.

Good call!

+1 re the Drouhin St Veran, wd also add Michel Barraud Macon-Villages…Don’t recall seeing the Jadot Macon in our area, but at that price, will buy when/if I come across it

Drouhin St Veran $15 3 votes
Francois Carillon Bourgogne Blanc $20 votes
Numerous others 1 vote

I’ll start a poll in a few days and include the leading contenders from the thread.

Poll added. I decided to add all suggestions. 2 votes allowed. Change of mind permitted.

Nearly 50% are Chablis. Is that a function of palates on this board or pricing of different regions?

Yes, 1993 posts and this is your question?

7663 posts and this is your question? (Sorry!)
Like yours, a rhetorical question (sort of).
I was surprised not more selections from Macon, and other areas like St Romain, Montagny etc.

Definitely, that was my vote. Great QPR and consistent.

7663 posts, I need to re-examine my life, can I borrow your boat?

1 Like

James Billy, King of Polls!

Louis Michel Chablis is the clear leader ATM. Trouble is… it’s not under $20. Even when discounted it’s around 22 bucks. It’s usually mid 20s or more.

Oh dear, that moves it up out of “bottom feeder” status. [swoon.gif] [oops.gif] The poll, and thread, has been knackered.