What 2018 Red Burgundies are you Buying?

Curious whether others are buying gleefully, panning the vintage entirely or something in between.

Personally I am only buying the Arnoux-Lachaux 18s, as they are supposedly fantastic, but I otherwise am concerned about the riper character of the vintage.

Bertheau

Clerget
DRC
Rousseau
Liger Belair
Mugneret Gibourg
Roumier
Millot
Angerville

A bit more than usual given it’s a birth year

Have you tasted any yet? Any word on how they did in 2018?

Arnoux-Lachaux also came to mind for me as well as some Lafarge (if I can get it), but I don’t think I’ll be a huge buyer this year. 2019 seems like a vintage much more suited to my tastes, so I’m happy to mostly skip the cellarworthy wines this year and grab the occasional Bourgogne for popping corks.

I’m down to only buying one value producer I like but skipped even them in 2018. Between the vintage, the tariffs, and my desire to downsize my cellar it was an easy call.

In no particular order:

Trapet
Arnoux-Lachaux
Bachelet
Mugneret-Gibourg
Claude Dugat
Bernard Moreau
Coche-Dury
J-F Mugnier
Guffens-Heynen
Hubert Lignier

Some others that I will hope to buy when they are released:

G Barthod
DRC
J-C Bachelet
Lafarge

1 Like

jason, i’ve had the MG colombiere which is fantastic.

Yeah, I forgot Mugnier, Moreau, Barthod, and Arnoux-Lachaux

IIRC I got a magnum of that… or maybe it was just Vosne-Romanée, Chaignots and Echézeaux… champagne.gif

William, if I ever had the opportunity to go into your cellar I’m not sure I would ever come back out!

So far,

Anne gros richebourg
Bertheau
Jouan
H. Lignier
Mongeard Mugneret

1 Like

Hubert Lignier
A bit of Roumier
A bit of Mugnier
Arnoux-Lachaux, if the price is right (Grand Reignots indeed!)

I’ve really disliked some of the 18s I’ve had, so am being extremely sparse.

Not much. Some Duroche and Gouges so far. Definitely some more but I’m going to be picky.

No kidding. I paid a lot more for the 18s than the 17s, due to the combination of tariffs and price increases at the domaine, but by all accounts it is worth it.

1 Like

Wow. Do you and William have anything resembling a budget? This is more like a fantasy list than a yearli buying list. Curious why the Clerget and Millot? Tuesday night pizza wines?

I’m probably putting away a bit more 18 than usual because it’s a birth year but it’s not really that different than what I buy most years.

I forgot the Duroche. I will get the 2018 to complete my LSJ 1923 vertical.

1 Like

Dujac
Rousseau
Jean-Marc Bouley
Fourrier
Lafarge
Bachelet
Clavelier
Mugnier
Didier Fornerol
Same things i buy every year.
A

1 Like

I am buying in the region, so my prices are likely a bit more reasonable than what you might have to pay! And, since it’s my job, I can somewhat justify spending a larger proportion of my income on wine than might be considered responsible were I embarked upon a different career…

I am buying Wasenhaus! The best Burgundy your money can buy. And Made in Germany.

William - How is 18 for whites?