TN: 2002 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2002 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (12/2/2020)
    Opened for our youngest daughter’s 18th bday…slow oxed in bottle for an hour…tons of caked on bottle sediment. A very harmonious bottle…well integrated and showing much better than the last bottle 9yrs ago. Wonderful dark berried fruits…plum, cassis, blackberry…ripe and rustic, with a refreshing streak of acidity lifting the dark fruit. Has a smooth softness from age…very complex notes of olive, smoked meat, camphor, leather…sneaky white pepper spice, violet florals, and dried autumn leaves…not in your face style…more subtle…a true joy to drink! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Lovely! I think I have one downstairs…somewhere…

These wines definitely age and are almost always better after 7 to 10 years. Oldest one I’ve had was 15 years old and it was not close to its end point.

So glad I bought a bunch of birth year wines to share with my kids. Best so far was a 1995 Angelus for my daughter’s college graduation a few years ago. The 1998 Billecart Nicolas Francois for my son’s college graduation was almost as good. Worst so far was a 1998 Dominus for my son’s high school graduation which was terminally flawed. Ugh.

Love this wine and have two more bottles left. Agree it really needs some bottle time. Not sure if you noticed but every year’s label has a slightly different picture (I think).

Yes. Different photo by Carole.

Thanks for the tasting note!!

It sounds like it was/is an absolutely beautiful Syrah!