TN: 2012 Virage Vineyards (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2012 Virage Vineyards - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/3/2020)
    How did I not know about these wines before now? What a lovely combination of classic stature and Napa fruit. Deep red berry and black currant, warm, brown spice and a measured tannic underpinning (it really felt like a foundation, rather than something that was reaching up to bite me) makes for a (too) easily drinkable wine. I kept sipping and sipping, and suddenly it was gone. Whoops!

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

You must try the 2007, David.

It was become our Christmas Day meal wine (with espresso-rubbed beef tenderloin)

Sadly I don’t have one.

Was supposed to but not to be.

Virage was a BD discovery for me, and have had several vintages since (‘07, ‘10, ‘11, ‘12). Killer stuff.

I’m loving the rosé.

What’s the breakdown of the blend in the Virage red?

I’ve only tried the 2010 so far, and had a similar experience. Really a remarkable wine.

It is a Right bank style, the blend varies, but is typically Cab franc dominant (55-70%), then Merlot, with a dash of Cab Sauv.

Thanks, Mike.

Yes - thanks for the details. Helps explain why I liked it so much, as I am a big fan of Cab Franc.

I opened my 2010 a month ago or so, and I agree, it was superb. Virage will be a top priority for me on BD if they’re there. Really, just the prices on their website right now are very attractive.

I do find it odd that 2012 is their current vintage. Are they still making wine?

David … Here’s Emily’s note about the loss of her home (and personal cellar) during the Glass fire - Todd organized a great quick special sale with Emily for WB folks to help out. I don’t know her current plans but she is really quite amazing … and her Rose is so delicious! I had picked up a case of 375s last BD and have been enjoying them so much.

Yes, that’s what prompted me to buy the mixed case.

Totally agree-I purchased the 2010, 2011, and 2012 recently-opened the 2012 a week or 2 and was very impressed. I hadn’t heard of this winery before but have always liked Right Bank style blends. I’ll be buying more as well.

Similar impressions as others. I picked up a mixed sixer and couldn’t help PnP the 2011. Similar experience; just kept sipping away and it was soon gone. At that point I promptly hid the remaining ones away before I was tempted to go another round. Lovely claret.

IIRC Havens Bourriquot, a favorite Cheval Blanc inspired blend, was also from Beau Terroir fruit.

Does anyone know? Did I tell you? If I told you, it’s true. No bs around here, but all the records burned, and I THOUGHT I had printed it in the technical notes on my website… but I just checked, to answer Andrew’s question, and no, it just says CabFranc/Merlot. This is going to drive me crazy.

Good question — I’d be interested to know as well.

There’s a CT note that says the 2012 Bourriquot is 73% Cab Franc and 27% Merlot. I didn’t see anything on the reviews or wine definition on the other 2012 Virage Red.

From EXTENDED: VIRAGE Napa Valley 'Right Bank' BDX Blends--and beautiful dry rose' - BerserkerDay IX (January 27, 2018 - it was a doozy - WineBerserkers

2007 Virage - 71%CabFranc 24%Merlot 5%Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Virage - 56%CabFranc 41%Merlot 3%Cabernet Sauvignon

The percentages of the 2010 and 2011 can be found at https://www.viragenapavalley.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1820:

2010 - 56% Cabernet Franc with 42% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon
2011 - 69% Cabernet Franc with 27% Merlot and 4% Cabernet Sauvignon

From https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/virage-2012-red-napa-valley/:

2012 - This is a blend of 67% Merlot grown in Carneros with 33% Cabernet Franc from Atlas Peak