TN: 2019 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive

2019 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (12/3/2020)
Quite dark garnet color, I’m not able to squeeze out much on the nose. After a string of quite varied vintages, really over the entire decade, and a little trepidation over another fairly warm vintage following on 15, 17, and 18, I was looking forward to trying this bottle. Interestingly, it’s not nearly as rich or forward as I was anticipating, with more backward, almost brooding dark fruit. Intensity is here, but a bit cloaked by tannic structure, which is quite strong for Beaujolais. Good acidity, some anise notes, and I wonder if there is a hint of roasted fruit lurking as well, but well absorbed by the depth and structure. I’ll check back on this tomorrow night to see if it has softened, but I would say this is a longer term wine, one to put away for a few years, at least. (88 pts.)

1 Like

Thanks for the note, Alan. I completely agree about it needing some time in general. I believe that’s what the “Cuvee Tardive” part is supposed to indicate. I know there’s a temptation to buy this one instead of the entry level, because the sense is that it’s the better or more serious wine. But I love the accessibility of the regular bottling and am happy to drink it while this one ages.

Alan- Thanks for the early check in on the 19. Agree the Tardive needs time, a good bit of time. Against my better judgement, we opened a '17 out of magnum for Thanksgiving and that a mistake. So young and closed in. Burying the others for several years.

I have been buying a few beaujolais for some years, mainly Vissoux les garants / trois roches until 2015; Bouland VV/delys every year since 2010 and Thivin 7 vignes and zaccharie in 13,15 and 17.

There are many lovers of the Roillette Tardive on this board and it seems quite tasty as well as ageworthy, so I just got me a six-pack of the 2019 (not tasted yet).

So my question is: If the 2017 and 2018 were still available, which would you chose to stock up on ?
I know - the answer will likely be “Both”, but I’m asking for vintage preferences for this cuvee.
My drinking habits for the above mentioned Bojos are 3-15 years after harvest and I am currently enjoying the Vissoux 3R from 2011 and 2012.

Thanx !

I had both vintages in the last two months, although it was my first experience with this particular cuvée. The 2018 was one of the most powerful and feral BoJo’s I’ve ever had; almost like if Gamay was grown in Cornas. The 2017 was more restrained and polished while still showing some gaminess with the red fruits. Really enjoyed both vintages.

I would buy more of the 2018 first, even though the extra year of bottle age means the 2017 is more drinkable right now.

2017 >>>>> 2018. I really don’t like 2018 Beaujolais, and I don’t think time will be kind to these wines given the loose structures. This includes Coudert, whose wines have been among my 2 or 3 favorites for a long time. My 2 ¢.

1 Like

Love Clos de la Roilette, though Louis Dressner’s portfolio virtually vanished from WA State in 2020 (apparently they switched distributors) so now I can only get this via mail order from elsewhere. Sounds like I may be looking to backfill prior vintages though…

l got mine at sec wines shipped to seattle

Yeah, I’ve also been sourcing some LDM stuff out of PDX shops. Shipping is very reasonable and usually arrives next day.

I’ve also found that the Tardive takes a while - my experience says about 5 years. Recently had a 2015 and it needed an hour before it opened up.

I personally prefer the 2017 vintage vs the 2018. As Nick mentioned, Feral is a good way to describe the 2018, which is not my style.

Came here to say exactly this! I have the 2018 Roilette, not tardive, and while it is showing better than it was a year ago, it’s very ripe, and I still much prefer 2017. I see talk of 2017 being as ripe a vintage as 2018, and it just doesn’t seem that way to me at all. I’ve found 2017 to be a fairly good vintage from reliable producers. 2018 seems very ripe and, as you mention, loosely structured. I find 2018 much fresher than 2015, but that is about the best I can say for it. I can only recall one 2015 I enjoyed (Denogent Jules Chauvet) but found most to be tannic, overripe disasters.

It’s been a really interesting string of vintages. While 2015 could be overblown overall I found the wines to have much more tannic structure than the 2018s, which I find kind of flat and shapeless, and for that reason I put 2015 above 2018. I think 2017 is a good if not great vintage and certainly safer as a blind buy compared with 2015 and 2018. 2016 is kind of a chameleon and made more challenging by the fact that some wines were either not made or difficult to find due to hail. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve tasted from 2019 so far, including the Roilette Tardive. The string of so many warm vintages has made things somewhat challenging as a buyer of classical Beaujolais, but there are still winners out there.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
I’ll give the 2017 a try and will report back.

Had the 2017 and 2019 next to each other.

The 2019 was open and the fruits jump from the glass: strawberry, raspberry and red currant of the sweet ice-cream type; very pure.
In the mouth similar taste profile, although less fruit expression, more creamy and surprisingly smooth, still pure, medium long (not a lot of acidity) with smooth tannins and a bit of depth.
Very nice.
The 2017 was more reserved, smell of kirsch-liquor.
Quite reserved in taste too, fruit profile again kirsch-liquor. Stronger tannins, more acids, a bit more length and depth.
Due to the tannins and acis probably longer-lived than 2019.
Both wines very tasty with great fruit expression, although not very complex (yet?).

1 Like

To round this up, after a few days from the open bottle(s), the 2019 lost its fruityness and was lacking a bit in acidity, tannin and substance, actually in interest.
The 2017 however kept well and showed its substance - ultimately the better wine, at least to my taste.

Drank a 2018 Cuvee Tardive over the past three days. Delicious to be sure, but the acidity is really missing and the second half of the wine plods along a little but without structure. Nowhere near the energy I’m used to from this wine so I think I’ll drink up the rest of the six pack in the near term and search for other vintages. Reminds me a bit of above-average Sonoma Pinot.

I am drinking the 2019 Fleurie normale right now - having had the 2018 a couple of time, I wouldn’t call 2019 automatically a better vintage for this wine. Yes, the 2019 has bit more grip and acidity, but I recall the 2018 as having more depth and body, which is slightly lacking here. Good wine for sure, and maybe I am nitpicking. I see that a certain WA wine critic rated them the same - it’s a different wine, but to me, difficult to say which is better. So I tend to concur with that assessment.

I thoroughly enjoy Clos de la Roilette, and Cuvée Tardive is one of my favorite Beaujolais, but I’ll join the consensus that it needs a little time to show its best.

I’ll also say- 2017 has been my favorite of the recent vintages. I’d be buying a good bit more of it if NYC’s entire stock was not solely in Magnum.