TN--2017 Kutch Falstaff PN---kudos to FMIII...and to Jamie

Here was my note on this wine from FallTacular 2019:

“2017 Kutch Falstaff PN
Wow—can-not stop scenting the pure red fruit and also undercurrents of baking spice and earth. Le gout is strict still, but excellent length. A very good Falstaff, I may not be quite as effusive as Frank about it, but will be glad to add it to my cellar”

I am glad I trusted Frank and got some more of this. It’s just confirmation that my good friend has an amazing palate–at least for my taste preferences.
Here we are, almost 2 years later?

Super-pretty bouquet of blueberries and strawberries. Beguiling. Fruit replays in the mouth with an almost-aggressive dark cocoa lash to it all. It’s all marvelously precise.

Well—to give you the play for how long this will age, tasting it a day later? That aggressive near-bitterness is gone and this is just a swoonful mouthful of wine, still with a hint of that cocoa and earth, but deliriously fresh and elegant. With all due respect to Rhys, and with this still being California fruit? In feel and temperament, this is as close to a Burgundy I’ve tasted other than maybe a very good Littorai.

Yesterday, this was 89+ Today it’s 93 with a little + still in there and it’s going on my WOTY list.

Haere Ra, and bravo Jamie.

Mike

Mike,
For the past few months I’ve been digging into my 2009 and 2010 Kutch Pinots and have been seriously impressed. I took a buying hiatus after the 2011 vintage, but plan to add more since every single bottle opened this year has been absolutely stellar.

Oh, and don’t forget about Jamie’s insane Chardonnay. It was the 2014 SCM chard that pulled me back in.

Trust me, I haven’t forgotten about the 14 Chard. I am guarding the 4 bottles I have left like precious children.

The only 09 and 10 I have left are Falstaffs, slated for a full vertical whenever the pandemic ends and I can re-engage WineFest :slight_smile:

Stay safe and well

Mike

14 is my favorite domestic Chard, though I have a case of '18 Trout’s Gulch that I’ve yet to taste. Jamie thinks it might be as good potentially as the '14!