1st taste after Covid

I got Covid one month ago. Pretty good case of it. Days 1-7 fever, body aches, Day 5 loss of sense of taste and smell, Day 8-20 pretty good cough. Oxygen level 90-94 everyday. I spent one afternoon in hospital (Day 11) with shortness of breath which I believe was more anxiety related from not sleeping the night before. Lung X-rays showed a mild case of the white wispy cottony strands but no fluid build up. I’m 58 years old and relatively fit, normal weight, no underlying issues except a condition called viral induced asthma which causes a yearly upper respiratory cold to turn into irritated bronchial tubes and prolonged cough. Sense of smell and taste returned by about Day 14 but it was still way off with things not tasting right. 10 solid pounds of weight loss during the sickness. Little by little things got better and last night by day 28 my wife asked if I wanted to have any wine. I thought it’s Friday night, I endured Covid, maybe I could have little bit.

Since my palate is still a bit off with things sweet not tasting as sweet as they should and aftertastes of certain foods being not normal I figured I would need a big, bold, sweeter red wine. I even thought of opening up a dessert wine I’ve been saving over the years, an old Sine Qua Non sticky. But a cold Friday night = red wine in our household and the only wine for the job was 2018 Daou Cabernet.

Right away it was not sweet like it usually is. The body was there, the deep berry, but the sweet aftertaste was missing as was the high alcohol sensation. It actually tasted rather balanced yet full and dry. My new Covid palate actually improved Daou Cabernet! Trouble is my cellar of Bordeaux, Burgundy and Brunello will have to wait…

Sorry to hear you had Covid, Mark - I think we’ve got quite a few Berserkers who have, we just don’t hear from them all.

GREAT opportunity to get rid of all the wine you’d otherwise not want to drink :slight_smile:

It took me a few months for my wine palate to get back to normal. During that time I did better with whites and sweet wines. Cabernet in particular was challenging—something was missing or distorted. But I am sure everyone’s trajectory is unique, and it was encouraging that the cab so enjoyable for you. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Glad you made it through!
You can now start enjoying wine again.

Hey there, Mark - very glad to hear you have come through to the other side. I had a mild case of Covid, and it has impacted my taste for alcohol of all sorts. Some nights I have no problem but there are times when the best comparison is to having to use an out-of-tune instrument. In my experience, I find that maybe the fifth sip of wine (and all thereafter) taste much closer to normal than the first. Also, it’s fairly normal, it seems, for the effects to come and go. Good luck out there.

I have to temporarily stop drinking wine since I was just diagnosed (via ultrasound) with a blood clot. Could hardly walk. Now taking Eliquis so no wine for me! Interesting the Pharmacist said she is noticing more Covid induced blood clots, but that could just be her personal theory. I had a bad case of bronchitis back in February (without diagnosis) but now wonder if I should get an antibody Covid test. Jeez I will be glad when this year is behind us. Glad for those who survive this and I look forward to 2021!

Cheers,
JP

Glad you are on the road to recovery!

Very happy to hear that you’re on the mend and had an unexpectedly enjoyable wine experience!

Haven’t heard from you in a while, Mark, but glad you are climbing out of Covid.

Glad you recovered Mark, and your palate will too. I am 58 as well, and tested positive in June. Fortunately I had a mild case with headache and slight fever on day one, followed by body aches and fatigue for another five days. I never lost my sense of taste or smell, only my appetite for about three days. Hang in there, your old world claret will be as good as ever!

Sorry to hear that, Mark - your trajectory sounds very similar to my own, although I never went to hospital. I got it a month ago too - just returning to normal now. I’ve been happily tucking into some of my guilty secrets made by Rolland or Derenoncourt, with similar results - they actually taste quite balanced! I had a Domaine de Chevalier 2004 last night which tasted much better than the last one did. Hope you’re able to enjoy your other wines soon.

Ha, me too! I had a Cambie-made Chateauneuf du Pape last night that was pretty damn good! Granted it had a cut of 40% mourvedre and was at 14.5% so perhaps not OTT like so many of his wines. The 2001 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau also showed beautifully last night notwithstanding that my nose does not appear to be 100% back. I notice it more in less powerful, more nuanced wines, like Beaujolais and Chinon.

Count your blessings, as you recover.

You’re willingly drinking a Cambie CdP? I’d be concerned that was a sign of lingering cognitive side-effects.

Lol, so true.

In my defense, I did not buy this wine. And I did not know he had any involvement in this Château. A friend of mine brought it to dinner. I think the saving grace on the wine was that it is cut with 40% Mourvèdre.

Keep this up and you’re gonna lose that AFWE card Robert… :smiley:

Now that’s one secret stash I don’t have! I’ve been steering clear of anything nuanced too - the few I’ve tried so far have tasted bland. Glad the SMJG 01 was good - last week I had a Malescot 04 which actually tasted like a classic Margaux - thanks Covid!

Phew! I can’t tell you have relieved I am to hear that.

Hi John,
I have heard about a connection, in some cases, between Covid and blood clots. Having had a blood clot quite a few years ago (a result of bad phlebotomy when I was in ER), I am really really careful about going out. Fortunately, Cornell tests us weekly (and some people twice weekly) and my results are always “not detected.” However, all this sitting at home working remotely worries me about possible DVT. Anyway, I hope you (and Mark, the OP) recover fully and swiftly.

Thanks Haggis! I am hoping that it dissolves quickly and I can get back to my routine. I have received some advice … and I suppose an occasional glass or two would be fine. Have a terrific Holiday and I look forward to getting together post-Covid…

Cheers,
JP