Inexpensive 2006 Montes Alpha Syrah a pleasant surprise

When I buy and cellar premium wines my expectation is to be rewarded with an excellent bottle down the road. What does not happen very often is to have a wine that you bought as a daily drinker become a major league player.

Back in 2009 I bought 4 of the 2006 Montes Alpha Syrah for daily drinkers. I bought them at Costco for $18.99. The bottle that I drank in 2013 was pretty much as expected… good but nothing special. But the last two bottles have been unexpectedly amazing. Goes to show that a careful buyer can drink pretty well on a tight budget.

2006 Montes Syrah Alpha - Chile, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley (12/5/2020)
Not too often that a $20 bottle of wine performs at this level. PnP and drank with a braised pork shoulder dinner. The berry fruit in this wine was pure and very concentrated. Secondary flavors of earth and herbs. I have drank a lot of $100 bottles that would have to look up to this beauty. Still one more in the cellar to have next year. Drink or Hold. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s always nice to find a gem like that. Was a big fan of Montes Alpha, haven’t had one in a while. Not sure why I stopped? May have to source some out and try again. Thanks for the nice note.

An inexpensive wine that unexpectedly ages well is a total delight, perhaps even more than an expensive one that does the same.

Just an awesome note! LOVE it when a wine unexpectedly over-performs like that!

Side note…I totally remember buying that same wine at Costco years ago. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note and reminder. I have had a few of these in the past as I used to get these in South Florida at very good prices. I am going to seek one out and revisit.

I recently bought 22 bottles of Pinot Noir <$20 and tried through them with my wife.

As folks know, this is a tough price point for Pinot Noir.

The Montes Aloha was one of the better performers. I rated it 87, which is pretty good for a ~$15 Pinot Noir.

Will pick up some more. No idea how well it will age and don’t plan on doing so.

I recommend you to try Montes Alpha M if you like their Syrah!